Edukans Country Representative Jobs in Kenya
Full-time for 1 year and subject to a 6 month probation period
September 15th, 2017
Edukans seeks a highly motivated individual with exceptional leadership skills to become our first Country Representative for Kenya.
Currently, Edukans is registering and establishing offices in Ghana, Ethiopia, Malawi and Kenya. He/She is to set our strategic direction for Kenya, to establish presence and visibility, to raise institutional funds, to manage programs in line with the mission, vision and overall strategy of the organization.
‘Educating and training young people for a better life’.
We believe in a world where all underprivileged young people are empowered by quality education and training as a lifetime opportunity to transform their lives and livelihoods for the better.
‘Transformed lives of young people through quality education and training’.
Edukans is an international non-governmental organization specialized in education and training for underprivileged young people. Established in 2002 as Dutch NGO, we focus on 6+ developing countries with a budget of €9M (2016). Our intervention areas are quality education, employability skills, gender equality, education in emergencies. Strategies range from poverty alleviation to capacity building and advocacy working with partner NGO’s, government institutions and in public-private partnerships.
The CR will establish Edukans presence and visibility in Kenya with the focus to raise institutional funds. The CR will achieve this by developing key relationships with government, relevant institutions in the sector, businesses and institutional funding organizations.
He/She is responsible and will ensure the planning, monitoring and evaluation of programs in close interaction with Edukans staff in The Netherlands and with strategic partners in Kenya.
All duties and responsibilities are to be carried out in line with global mission, vision, values, policies & procedures and overall strategy of the organization:
- Represent Edukans in Kenya with donor representatives, (inter-) national NGO’s, embassies, private sector, governmental officials, media and other relevant stakeholders, ensuring that Edukans vision, mission, values and aims are communicated in a positive and compelling way.
- Identify and secure institutional funding for expansion of current and future Kenya programs.
- Ensure Kenya programs development, implementation and evaluation in line with (multi) annual plans, taking preventive and corrective actions where and when necessary.
- Analyze country context, develop and implement a short-term strategy and subsequently a full Country Strategy.
- Ensure that budgets are spent in accordance with donor requirements and Edukans budget lines, within appropriate timeframe and ensures the successful, on time, delivery of multi-year plans and budgets.
- Achieve programmatic, financial and fundraising targets of Edukans in Kenya. To be done in close collaboration with partners.
- Recruit and supervise all necessary staff, creating a positive environment that enables staff to maximize their potential and reach excellent results.
- Have final responsibility for all matters related to the functioning of the office, e.g. human resources, finance and administration, legal and program matters. Secure continued legal basis for Edukans operations in Kenya.
- Any other issues assigned to the office.
Position in the organization
- The CR will report to the Edukans headquarter in the Netherlands and will become member of the (international) Country Representatives team.
- The CR is also member of the following International teams: international Institutional Fundraising team and international PME team.
The Country Representative:
- is a strong strategic thinker and visionary leader
- is having an entrepreneurial attitude, experienced to build from scratch
- is ambitious, seeks always the opportunities
- is able to build and maintain strong relationships
- is experienced and proven successful in reaching challenging fundraising targets
- is a Kenyan citizen
Furthermore he/she has:
- an academic level of working and thinking
- experience in education and skills development, and in the NGO sector
- leadership skills and senior management experience
- strong financial and analytical skills
- excellent language skills in English
- experience in PMEL
Abbreviated Terms and Conditions
Location Nairobi, Kilimani area, Kenya
Contract Period The post is offered on a 1 year contract (extendable by mutual agreement)
Probation The appointment is subject to the satisfactory completion of a 6 months probationary period.
Closing date applications 22nd of August 2017, COB
Applications for this job must comprise of:
An application letter addressing the motivation and essential qualifications (maximum 1 page).
A curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages). The CV must include 3 professional referees (referees will not be contacted until after interviews, with permission from the candidate).
Only applications that address the qualifications and the page limits will be considered.
Interviews will be held by Skype on 28th and 29th of August between 1:30 to 5:00 pm Kenyan time.
Email applications to:
[email protected] with the subject line: “Application – Country Representative – Kenya”.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.