Reporting to the Project Director, TIMIZA 90, the Program Officer-KP serves as the Key Populations’ Specialist and organizes, implements, coordinate, and supervises HIV/AIDS activities of various programs addressing at-risk populations (Fisher folks, Female Sex workers, MSMs, and other vulnerable populations including discordant couples).
The incumbent works closely with the Care and Treatment Technical Advisor to ensure alignment of key populations activities and interventions across the project to the 90:90:90 Strategy. He /She will also coordinate closely with other TIMIZA90 staffs to ensure all project sites have the capacity to deliver evidence-based, high quality bio-behavioural interventions offer KPs friendly services and establish integrated DICs as appropriate.
As Key Populations point of contact, the incumbent will provide leadership to EGPAF-Kenya’s efforts towards reaching these populations and represent the foundation in national, regional and international forums that focus on Key Populations.
Field Officers Job Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership in developing strategies and interventions to improve the quality and responsiveness of HIV prevention programming and service delivery for KPs.
- Provide technical assistance and mentorship to other project team members and facilitate technical capacity assessments in efficacious, evidence-based HIV prevention for key populations.
- Identify and map different categories of KPs in the targeted geographic areas in the county and work with SPOs to set-up integrated DICs as guided by annual plans and the donor.
- Provide comprehensive community-based HIV prevention services through Peer education and outreach for behavioral HIV prevention among KPs.
- Provide prevention package of services at facility and community level for HIV negative KPs.
- Provide information and training on the use and promotion of male/female condoms and lubricants (demonstration, skills building in negotiating condoms with sex partners, and ensure easy access to uninterrupted supply of condoms and lubricants).
- Provide VMMC messaging and a minimum package of VMMC services for male fisher folks and MSMs where appropriate.
- Expand and improve testing services for Key Populations using targeted outreach strategies as per the national guidelines
- Implement Test and Treat model as per the national KP guidelines
- Support early enrollment into Anti-Retroviral Treatment (ART) for KPs and monitor viral load (VL) suppression in the established cohorts in collaboration with health facilities (Support initiation and retention of KPs on ART under the new National guidelines of Treatment as Prevention (TasP)).
- Provide and facilitate access to Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) and Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) to KPs in need in all health facilities.
Skills for the Field Officers Job
- Degree in social sciences /Public health/from a recognized University (Minimum of 5 years’ experience in providing technical leadership in HIV Prevention at national or regional level or
- MA in social studies/Community Health or MPH will be an added advantage.
- Human Relations, Public relations and Communication skills
- Proficiency in computer packages
- Working knowledge of USG funded programs particularly through CDC mechanisms
- Familiar with and experience working with Government bodies particularlyNASCOP , NACC and other MOH departments
- Must understand PEPFAR /CDC/NASCOP/NACC Technical guidance requirements for HIV Programming for Key Populations
How to Apply