Primary Manager: Finance Manager
Job Summary: The Senior Financial Analyst coordinates a variety of financial analysis and planning functions in the Kenya office including agreement budgeting and generating a variety of financial reports.
The Senior Financial Analyst must collaborate with a variety of other staff to be successful including Country and Associate Directors, Accounting staff, Awards & Compliance staff, Program staff and the Financial Planning & Analysis unit at headquarters in Washington, DC.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop & manage budgets (for projects and shared services) including proposal budgets, budget notes/narratives, annual project specific budgets, monthly costed work plans and other special purpose budgets
- Develop, at a minimum, quarterly revised project management budgets incorporating current detailed line item spend patterns
- Where necessary, prepare budget re-alignments for donor approval
- Support development of special purpose costing activities such as project monthly costed work plans, project event budgets, shared services budgets, etc.
- Real time tracking of actual expenditure against approved budget lines factoring cash expenses, obligations & commitments in progress. Special emphasis on commitments not yet booked as expenses
- Detailed financial forecasting for all projects using a combination of historical costs and known future costs to predict periodic pipeline positions
- Minimum monthly documented pipeline review meetings with each project lead, sharing budget vs. actual positions, agreeing on any corrective actions, and following through to ensure corrections are effected on a timely basis to prevent significant budget over/under runs
- Assure budget availability prior to major commitments e.g. procurements, obligations to sub-recipients, major recruitments, etc.
- Assist procurement department & program teams in developing and tracking annual procurement plans to ensure approved amounts are not exceeded during implementation
- Assist grants team in developing realistic forecasts for sub-recipients to ensure accurate tracking of sub-recipient actual expenses against availed obligations
- Provide ad hoc forecasts/ scenarios as new information is availed e.g. changes to approved funding from donor, etc.
- Prepare monthly financial reports for management decision making
- Track due dates and prepare donor financial reports when due
- Present complex financial reports to varied audiences
- Perform periodic and annual (PEPFAR) expenditure analysis reporting
- Support any internal or external driven cost analysis initiatives
Education & Experience
- Master’s Degree in business related field
- Demonstrated experience using automated budget management software
- Strong Excel, Word, Access & Power Point Proficiency
- Demonstrated financial analysis experience (5 years minimum) in a complex corporate / NGO environment
- Excellent financial management and analytical skills
- Ability to clearly communicate financial information to non-financial colleagues
- Strategic thinker in a dynamic environment
- Ability to manage multiple priorities with tight deadlines
- Well-organized individual with excellent attention to details