The Embassy of Sweden in Nairobi represents Sweden in Kenya, Somalia, Seychelles and Comoros. The Embassy also represents Sweden in UNEP and UN-HABITAT.
The Embassy represents and advances Swedish policies, interests and values in political and economic relations, development cooperation, in trade and investment promotion and in cultural and information matters. It provides consular services to Swedish nationals and migration services to non-nationals.
Sweden has been actively engaged in Kenya for over 50 years. Swedish development cooperation with Kenya is governed by the strategy for Sweden’s Development Cooperation in Kenya 2016-2020. Swedish development cooperation with Kenya is to contribute to a better environment, limited climate impact and enhanced resilience, the democratic development of society and better opportunities for poor people to support themselves.
Development cooperation is also to contribute to the prevention of conflicts in Kenyan society. In addition, it is to support a transition from development cooperation to broader economic relations. The Kenya Development Cooperation Section at the Embassy has 16 staff and is headed by the Head of Section. The Embassy of Sweden/Kenya Development Cooperation Section is looking for a Programme Officer responsible for Trade and Market Development.
Programme Officer Job Main duties
- Plan, administer and follow up on Swedish funded projects by, inter alia: assessing and approving funding applications including budgets; preparing decisions/contracts and agreements; reviewing and approving narrative, financial and audit reports
- Financial management, including follow up of disbursements and payments of contributions
- Contribute to the development of Swedish strategies and policies for Kenya
- Represent the Embassy of Sweden and actively participate in coordination fora, program reviews and field visits
- Build relationships and develop networks through interaction and continuous dialogue with a multitude of actors, bilaterally and multilaterally
- Report and update relevant stakeholders on relevant emerging issues in Kenya
Qualifications for the Programme Officer Job
- Master’s degree in Economics, Trade, Business, Market Development or other equivalent academic background.
- Previous experience in Development arena working with Trade, Market Development, Productive Employment, or related areas.
- A minimum of ten (10) years working experience in the above areas.
- Demonstrable understanding and experience working with national, regional and international trade and market development.
- Knowledge of Kenyan institutional, policy, and legal framework for trade, private sector and investments.
- Experience in programmes/projects design, implementation and performance monitoring.
- Good command of both written and spoken English.
- A strong understanding of Market Systems Development (M4P) as it relates to Green Growth, Agribusiness, Renewable Energy, Innovative Financing and ICT.
- Experience working with enterprises and with national trade promotion organizations and/or other business support organizations.
- Knowledge of the Kenyan development context in general (including institutional structures, key actors, development strategies, etc.) and specifically in relation to market development, agribusiness, green growth and trade.
- Experience of working with Results-based Management.
- Dynamic team player able to work inter-sectoral across different focus areas and take initiative as well as work independently.
- Ability to adjust to changing priorities and undertake multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Respect for cultural diversity, with the ability to fit into a diverse team and to establish networks.
- Excellent organizational skills, strong oral and written communication skills with good command of English.
- Self-motivated with ability to take initiatives and work unsupervised.
- Ability to communicate and cooperate easily with colleagues.
How to Apply
- The contract is a fixed-term contract for 2 years with a possibility of extension. 6 months’ probation period applies. Terms and conditions for locally employed staff apply. For enquiries about the job, send an email to the Head of Section Ms Sandra Diesel, [email protected] . For enquiries about the terms and conditions send an email to Personnel Officer Louise Hallgren [email protected]
- Applications should include a detailed CV with educational qualifications, a summary of professional experience and a minimum of 3 professional references. Applications should be submitted to:[email protected] not later than 25th November, 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.