Senior Legal Counsel Jobs at The Energy Regulatory Commission
Ref. No ERC/SLC/01
The Energy Regulatory Commission (the Commission) is a State Corporation established under the Energy Act, 2006. The Commission is the sector regulatory agency responsible for economic and technical regulation of electric power, renewable energy and downstream petroleum sub-sectors.
Reporting to Commission Secretary and Director Legal services, the successful candidate will be responsible for preparation of contracts, support law enforcement and draft charge sheets.
Legal Counsel Job Key Responsibilities
- Prepare and vet contracts, leases and other legal documents;
- Provide support on law enforcement and ensure compliance by licensees, by undertaking surveillance and compliance audits;
- Support the relevant law enforcement agencies in drafting charge sheets, and other documents necessary for successful prosecution of offenders under the energy sector;
- Advice and undertake prosecution of cases within the provisions of the relevant law;
- Develop and review the law, regulations and codes relating to ERC operations as may be necessary;
- Monitor development of new legislation in Kenya and provide analysis/briefs on the effect of such legislation to
- ERC and the Energy sector operations;
- Work in liaison with other Statutory bodies and Government departments to develop policy papers on the Energy Sector;
- Monitor and advise on compliance with contractual obligations;
- Research on legal challenges in the energy sector;
- Advice management and the Commission on legal issues affecting day to day management;
Qualifications for the Legal Counsel Job
- A Bachelor’s in Law degree from a recognized University;
- A Masters degree from a recognized University will be an added advantage;
- A Diploma in Legal practice from the Kenya School of Law;
- Have a current practicing certificate;
- At least Five (5) years post qualification experience in a busy law firm or corporation;
- Have excellent understanding of the legal issues relating to the energy sector;
- Have excellent analytical, communication and decision making skills.
Other Mandatory Requirements and Information for All Positions
In addition to the skills stated above, applicants shall be expected to;
- To be excellent team players with good planning, interpersonal communication, report writing, problem solving, decision making and supervisory skills;
- Be of high standards of integrity;
- Have proficiency in computers and MS Office packages;
- Be able to communicate effectively in English & Kiswahili.
How to Apply
Applicants are further required to provide a detailed CV indicating their current and previous employers, positions held, current and expected salary, names of at least three professional referees, education and professional certificates together with a copy of national identity card or passport.
All applicants’ will be required to satisfy the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 and provide:
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations;
- Clearance Certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB);
- Tax compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA);
- Clearance from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC); and 5) Report from an Approved Credit Reference Bureau (CRB).
The Commission will offer attractive salaries and benefits to the selected candidates who can look forward to a rewarding career in a professionally run organization.
The successful candidate for the position of Head of Internal Audit & Risk shall be engaged on a three year contract, renewable based on performance. The other vacancies will be filled on permanent and pensionable terms of service.
ERC is an equal opportunity employer. Female applicants and persons living with disability and possess the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.
For more details of the job and person specifications, please visit the commission’s website www.erc.go.ke or our website www.acal.co.ke.
Applications clearly indicating job applied for should be sent to:
The Chief Executive Officer Alpex Consulting Africa Ltd (ACAL) Riverside Drive, Victoria Office Suites Opp. Sameer Investment Ltd P.O Box 20382-00100 Nairobi, KENYA
Applications to be emailed to: [email protected], or hand delivered and inserted in the recruitment box at Alpex Consulting Africa Ltd (ACAL) offices.
Closing date for receipt of applications: 15th May 2017 by 4:00pm