Environmental and Social Management Specialist
Reporting to:Director General
Provide environmental and social management technical advise and support to the bank’s stakeholders in particularly with regard to investment projects. Carry out research and investigations to identify, abate and advise on elimination of environmental hazards. Ensure compliance to the Bank’s related policies, regulatory frameworks and global trends.
Environmental and Social Management Specialist Job Responsibilities
- Develop, review and implement environmental, social management and climate finance policies and guidelines for the Bank.
- Work with stakeholders including regulators to enforce compliance and improve Environment and Social standards of the institution.
- Prepare and share position papers on the environmental, social management and climate finance strategy and standards of the Bank.
- Raise awareness and provide training on environment, social and climate finance issues and related risk management standards and practices in the Bank.
- Advise on the environmental issues related to investment projects, and advise on the best ways to mainstream environmental aspects into project design (including capacity building, awareness raising, public consultation and disclosure).
- Contribute to the project appraisal processes by reviewing, analysing and advising on social and environmental impact/risks, and in case of climate finance projects by reviewing, analysing and advising on monitoring, reporting and verification framework adopted and appropriate mitigation measures on investment projects. Advise on best practice, and contribute accordingly to the supervision of the projects by providing specific oversight on the implementation of the environmental and social mitigation and monitoring arrangements.
- Review applicable environmental permits and permit conditions associated with projects.
- Understand the global and regional strategic focus with regards to environmental and social matters. Keep abreast of national and international legislation, contribute to policy dialogue with stakeholders in the region and advise the Bank accordingly.
- Represent the Bank in technical meetings related to environmental and social management.
- Prepare environmental compliance reports with action plans for management.
- Carryout any other duties assigned by Management.
Qualifications for the Environmental and Social Management Specialist Job
- The desired candidate should be holder of an advanced degree (post graduate degree) in engineering, ecology/environmental sciences/natural resource management or other relevant discipline,
- At least 10 years relevant professional experience with no less than 5 years’ experience in environment and social management roles and no less than 1 year experience in dealing with climate finance issues.
- Experience in developing and managing Environment and Social programs in DFIs or large corporates, or providing
- Environment & social risk management advisory services to clients will an added advantage;
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of best available practices related to Environment and Social risk management standards and practices for financial sector including climate finance;
- Proven ability and experience in conceptualizing, designing and implementing major projects and producing comprehensive reports or studies;
- Demonstrated professional leadership and ability to lead a team of professionals in the execution of major project components;
- Ability to engage with various stakeholders, effective influencing skills and demonstrated diplomacy;
- Strong leadership, organizational, and communications skills; ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently, articulate issues and recommend solutions
- Strong presentation skills
- Relevant experience working in the EAC region is desirable
- Excellent English (written and spoken), communication skills are essential. Knowledge of Kiswahili will be an added advantage.
How to Apply
If you are a national of an EADB member state and your career aspirations and skills match these challenging and exciting roles, please visit www.adeptsystems.co.ke to submit your application online. This will require you to create a profile and in addition attach your detailed and up to date CV and a cover letter demonstrating how you meet our requirements, indicating your current and expected remuneration. Applications must be received by close of business 14th December 2016 OR Adept Systems MANAGEMENT CONSULTANTS P O Box 6416, Nairobi, GPO 00100 Adept Systems does not charge fees for receiving or processing job applications. Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.