The European Union’s Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection Department (ECHO) seeks to recruit a
Administrative and finance officer (AFO)
To join its Regional Office in Nairobi
The European Commission’s Directorate General for Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (ECHO) funds relief operations for victims of natural disasters and conflicts outside the European Union. For humanitarian aid, the Commission works with about 200 operational partners, including United Nations agencies, the Red Cross/Crescent movement and non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Aid is channelled impartially, straight to victims, regardless of their race, ethnic group, religion, gender, age, nationality or political affiliation.
1. Duties & Responsibilities
The Administrative and Finance Officer (AFO) will be based in Nairobi and will plan and execute all necessary administrative, financial accounting and logistic functions. The employee carries out supervision on the whole finance process, human resources management, general procurement duties and assets management, day to day coordination of the office, and supervision of the Administration and Finance team on the assigned tasks. He/she also provides the necessary support to all the ECHO field offices under the area of his/her responsibility. For more details about the post and the type of contract, please visit the following web page: http://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/kenya/about_us/vacancies/index_en.htm.
The Administration and Finance Officer will be responsible for the following main tasks:
- Supervises, verifies and provides guidance on financial administration and management;
- Analyses the ECHO field office monthly accounts;
- Takes the lead in coordinating preparation, implementation, follow-up and revision of the office budgets;
- Maintains oversight for the timely provision of goods and services for office;
- Supervises procurement process for property and expendable supplies as well as for services regarding the office and the Technical Assistant’s residences;
- Supervises the management of ECHO assets and liabilities and ensure proper inventory control;
- Reviews the authorization requests drafted in the office with the aim to counter check the data and information contained in the request (e.g. assures the role of quality control);
- Ensures consistency in the application of ECHO rules and procedures;
- Provides training and coaching for admin colleagues;
- Helps establishing and maintains a harmonious working environment.
2. Required Qualifications
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business management, finance, public administration or related area.
- Minimum 8 years of relevant work experience at national or international level in the area of administration or programme support service including experience in finances, human resources and procurement, as well as provision of inputs for regular reporting, both financial and narrative;
- Work experience outside Kenya and in the region in an international setting is an added advantage;
- Previous experience in a Governmental or other International Organisation is an advantage;
- A good knowledge of EU rules, regulations and procedures is an asset.
3. Required Skills
- Fluent written and spoken English are required. Practical knowledge/Understanding of French language is an advantage;
- Personal initiative; ability to work both independently and in a team, with ability to set priorities, and to work to tight deadlines;
- Commitment, determination, reliability and a high degree of personal integrity and discretion;
- Ability to analyse and process complex information; ability to clearly and concisely convey information to others;
- Excellent drafting skills;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc).
How to Apply
- Applications MUST comprise of:
- A cover letter setting out briefly the candidate’s motivation and suitability for the position;
- A completed CV in the EC standard format only (The EC Standard format can be downloaded from the same web page http://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/kenya/about_us/vacancies/index_en.htm ;
- The name, position and contact number/details (telephone, fax, e-mail) of three professional references, one of them being from the last employer;
- A copy of education degrees/diplomas/certificates and a copy of relevant work certificates.