Programme Officer- Nutrition Job at European Union, Kenya
The European Union’s Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection Department (ECHO) seeks to recruit Programme Officer- Nutrition To join its Regional Office in Nairobi
The European Commission’s Directorate General for Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (DG-ECHO), is the European Commission Department responsible for financing humanitarian assistance. ECHO finances a range of partners, which include NGOs, UN agencies and the Red Cross Movement, to provide assistance to people affected by both natural and manmade disaster.
Programme Officer Job Duties & Responsibilities
- The Programme Officer (PO) – Nutrition will be based in Nairobi and will support ECHO’s Technical Assistant in charge of nutrition in the region by undertaking the following tasks:
- Assess nutritional aspects of humanitarian situations in the region and provide recommendations on appropriate response;
- Provide quality technical advice and support to ECHO-funded projects;
- Regular monitoring of on-going nutrition projects and follow up of recommendations based on ECHO’s policies and international standards / best practices;
- Provide advice and support to ECHO Country Offices and HQ at operational, programmatic and strategic levels;
- Contribute to the ECHO’s Nutrition technical working group, and when needed to other sectors, for the development, dissemination and implementation of guidelines and other internal tools;
- The PO will be covering Central, Eastern and Southern Africa countries where nutrition crises are on-going or likely to occur. Frequent travel at short notice will be required. Based on evolving needs, the geographical coverage may change, and, if needed, the PO shall make him/herself available to cover countries outside the region.
Required Qualifications for Programme Officer Job
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in Nutrition or Public Health;
- A minimum of five years’ work experience in nutrition in emergency in the Central, Eastern or Southern Africa regions, in an international setting; this should include work outside Kenya. If no university degree, ten years’ work experience in nutrition in emergency will be required;
- Demonstrated understanding of nutrition and public health policies, standards, guidelines in emergency settings;
- Thorough knowledge of nutrition problems and programmes in the region;
- Public health / Medical background is an asset;
- Demonstrated knowledge of international NGOs and UN aid agencies working in the region;
- Good knowledge of Project Cycle Management and ideally of international donors’ procedures.
- Fluent written and spoken English are required. Understanding of French language is an advantage;
- Personal initiative; ability to work both independently and in a team, with ability to set priorities, and to work to tight deadlines;
- Commitment, determination, reliability, a high degree of personal integrity and discretion;
- Ability to analyse and process complex information; ability to clearly and concisely convey information to others.
Applications which do not meet minimum requirements will be automatically rejected.
The position is open to nationals and other residents of Kenya with a valid working permit. The contract is initially for one year with the possibility of renewal subject to a 6 months’ probationary period.
How to Apply
- Application plus detailed CV of the interested candidate should be sent to [email protected] (Subject clearly marked: “REF: PO – Nutrition” latest by noon 15th July 2016). Candidates who have not been contacted by 31st August 2016 should consider that they have not been selected.