Logistics Assistant Job at The European Union
The European Union’s Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection Department (ECHO) seeks to recruit a LOGISTICS ASSISTANT To join its Regional Office (RO) in Nairobi
The European Commission’s Directorate General for Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (ECHO) funds relief operations for victims of natural disasters and conflicts outside the European Union.
Logistics Assistant Job Duties & Responsibilities
- The Logistics assistant will be based in Nairobi and will be responsible for planning and executing all necessary office and residential logistics and administrative functions and assuring fulfilment of the needs for transportation, inventory management, office supplies as well as logistics/administrative support to the international personnel working in ECHO RO Nairobi.
- An important part of the function will be dedicated to the management of logistics through an ERP IT tool.
The major duties and responsibilities of the Logistics assistant are as follows:
- Contributes to procurement process for office property, expendable supplies and services;
- Corresponds and negotiates with all ECHO vendors on procurement related matters;
- Conducts tendering procedures as appropriate;
- Drafts authorization requests to be submitted to the line manager;
- Prepares purchase orders and drafts contracts;
- Follows-up the activities and tasks undertaken by contractors as indicated in the signed service/procurement contracts or POs;
- Oversees and ensures proper maintenance and functioning of office equipment and furniture;
- Follows-up inventory and updates in case of purchase, transfer, donation and written off;
- Liaises between ECHO Regional Office and other ECHO field offices in the region on logistics and protocol matters and will therefore be required to travel.
Required Qualifications for Logistics Assistant Job
- A first level university degree either in business administration, supply chain management, logistics/operations management or other relevant field is required ;
- Proven experience in working with an ERP system.
- A minimum of five years’ work experience in the area of administration, procurement or logistics;
- Knowledge of working processes: purchase orders, preparation of contracts for services and goods, tendering, inventory, fleet management, etc;
- Previous experience in a Governmental or other International Organisation is an advantage.
- Good communication skills;
- Fluency in English (verbal and writing). Knowledge of other European language (i.e. French) is an added advantage;
- Good experience in the usage of computers and office software packages;
- Personal initiative, ability to work both independently and in a team, with ability to set priorities, and to work to tight deadlines;
- Commitment, determination, reliability and a high degree of personal integrity & discretion;
- Planning and organizing skills and excellent drafting skills.
How to Apply
Applications MUST comprise of: A cover letter setting out briefly the candidate’s motivation and suitability for the position; A completed CV in the EC standard format only (The EC Standard format can be downloaded here The name, position and contact number/details (telephone, fax, e-mail) of three professional references, one of them being from the last employer; A copy of education degrees/diplomas/certificates and a copy of relevant work certificates. Contract A contract of employment will be concluded for an initial period of one year, subject to a successful completion of 6 month probation period. The candidate will be placed in Group III on the ECHO salary grid. The step on the group will depend on the validated work experience. The position is open to nationals and other residents of Kenya with a valid working permit. Application plus detailed CV of the interested candidate should be sent to Echo-Recruitment.Nairobi@echofield.eu (Subject clearly marked: “REF: Logistics Assistant’’ latest by noon 5th August 2016. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Candidates must abstain from contacting the ECHO Regional Office for information on the selection process. Any candidate that in any way tries to influence the selection process will be disqualified immediately. Applications which do not meet minimum requirements will be automatically rejected.Candidates who have not been contacted by 30th September 2016 should consider that they have not been selected.