Position: Associate, Field Operations
Start date: As soon as possible
Reporting to: Deputy Director Evidence Action Beta
Location: Nairobi – Kenya
A. About Evidence Action
Evidence Action scales proven interventions that improve the lives of millions. We implement cost – effective interventions whose efficacy is backed by substantial rigorous evidence.
Evidence Action identifies innovative, appropriate financing mechanisms and builds best practice operational models.
We voraciously self-evaluate, learn, and improve our models for scaling with a commitment to transparency on progress, impact, and value for money.
Our current flagship programs include:
Dispensers for Safe Water is an entrepreneurial program scaling the chlorine dispenser system – a proven innovation that dramatically expands access to water treatment at an extremely low cost.
Deworm the World Initiative actively supports the scale-up of school-based deworming programs worldwide to improve children’s health, education, and long-term development.
B. About G-United:
G-United is a national volunteer program initiated by the Presidency, led and implemented by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology and supported by Evidence Action.
The program aims to promote national cohesion, improve educational outcomes for children in over 15,000 primary schools across the country, and create enriching opportunities for over 30,000 unemployed Kenyan youth.
Under this selective and prestigious program, the government recruits recent university graduates to serve as volunteers in primary schools, where they support remedial education and serve as ‘education ambassadors’ in the surrounding community.
Volunteers receive training, a small stipend to cover living expenses, and career development opportunities as a part of the experience.
This evidence-based program is modelled on effective government-run programs that have successfully achieved impact at scale in South Asia and West Africa.
Since its Launch by H.E the President and the H.E the Deputy President in September 2014, the G-United Programme continues to show promise as a groundbreaking and successful national programme.
The volunteers are providing exceptional service in schools and communities and are having a life-changing and inspiring experience that will shape their futures.
The Programs’ first cohort of Volunteers is scheduled to attend a career fair in September 2015 as they successfully winds up their one year of service in the Counties.
C. About the job
The Field Operations Associate will oversee field operations for the programme in the counties ensuring that county coordinators are enabled to do their work with the highest level of quality.
This includes supervising the county coordinators, setting the vision, direction and managing county coordinators towards intended outcomes.
The field Associate will also ensure that county coordinators are achieving their set goals and objectives.
In addition, he will also communicate programmatic changes and improvements in a timely and efficient manner to the County Coordinators.
The Field Operations will also be responsible for hiring and ensuring field staff retention through maintaining a high level of team motivation, professional growth and development.
The Field Operations Associate will report to the Programme Manager.
D. Description of duties
- G-United field team well managed and achieving their goals
- Conduct hiring for the team of county coordinators and manage the hiring process for the county coordinators.
- Develop a manual and conduct a training session for field staff on their roles and responsibilities.
- Set vision and direction and manage county coordinators towards intended outcomes.
- Build and maintain an outcome oriented, cohesive, happy, and effective team culture that is integrated with other functional teams in the organization and improves their operations and outcomes.
- Maintain a high level of motivation among team members and ensure team retention.
- Conduct ongoing management, monitoring and training for field team members.
- Cost effective and timely field-based Implementation delivered.
- Communicate regularly with county coordinators about safety, rules and regulations and any other important areas that may arise.
- Support the county coordinators to conduct activities to maintain a high level of volunteer motivation, foster a supportive network among volunteers in the field, and ensure that volunteers continue to improve their content knowledge.
- Ensure that the coordinators effectively enables teachers, local government officials and county officials to achieve their goals by conducting training sessions and sensitization meetings.
- Supervise and ensure that county coordinators effectively enables volunteers to achieve their goals.
- Support county coordinators in making efficient and cost effective logistical arrangements for the various programme activities; these may include recruitment and selection, county activation, career fair, monitoring, graduation etc.
- Support field based communications with volunteers and their transition into and out of the programme
- Develop Work schedules for county coordinators and ensure they are allocating their time well.
- Develop tools to track the daily operations and monitor the field activities of county coordinators and ensure efficient and cost effective field work is carried out.
- Maintain and track G-United program inventory of equipment, supplies and resources across stakeholders such as laptops, netbooks, tablets, modems etc.
- Field operations system tools built and processes well documented
- Document program processes and procedures at the county level e.g. Recruitment and selection, county activation, career fair, monitoring etc.
- Ensure compliance with the procedures and quality standards during the program implementation process.
- Generate reports on the programme delivery at County level.
- Monitor financial expenditure and prepare financial reports as it relates to field activities and ensure appropriate spending.
- Share information collected from volunteers, homestays, communities and the County Governments on Programme delivery, Successes, challenges and any other feedback.
- Work with other team members to design a comprehensive scale-up strategy for the field team including optimal scale and 4-year growth trajectory.
E. Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Minimum qualification of a bachelor’s degree in Development studies, Social Work, Project Management or any relevant field from a recognized university.
- 2-3 Years work experience in a high-performing work environment.
- Proven record of achieving ambitious results, individually, and as part of a team.
- Proven experience in field team management before
- Excellent planning, operational and logistics skills
- Strong consensus building, conflict management, and negotiation skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven experience with budgeting and handling financing
- Superb organization and detail-orientation skills
- Ability to thrive in a goal-oriented, fast-paced, and entrepreneurial environment, including the ability to be flexible in project execution.
- Willingness to travel to remote locations in Kenya
How to Apply