Food and Agriculture Organization of the United NationsVacancy Announcement No:FAO/36/2015
Issued on: 29 October 2015
Deadline For Application: 11 November 2015
Position Title: Nutrition Analyst
Grade Level: SC9
Contract Type: Service Contract
Duty Station: Hargeisa, Somalia
Organizational Unit: FAO-Somalia
Duration: 3 months with possibility of extension
Eligible Candidates: Somali nationals only
Anticipated start date: ImmediatelyGeneral Description of Tasks and Objectives to be Achieved: Under the overall supervision of the FAO Somalia Representative, the FSNAU Chief Technical Adviser (CTA), and under direct supervision of the Nutrition Technical Manager, the Nutrition Analyst will provide programme support in the monitoring and reporting of the food security situation in Somalia.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead nutrition situation analysis in North West region of Somalia ( Somaliland), by; Develop and maintain an up-to-date work plan for the NW region, and coordinate its implementation
- Coordinate data collection through the nutritional surveillance system (nutrition surveys, rapid assessments, health facilities, sentinel sites surveillance)
- Analyze data generated through the nutritional surveillance system (assessments, sentinel sites surveillance) using the appropriate computer software (E.g. Epi info and nutrisurvey)
- Provide technical and operational support and guidance to the zonal team.
- Budget, manage and account for finances for the various activities undertaken within the zone.
- Ensure monthly and quarterly reports are submitted to the Nutrition Technical Manager in Nairobi on a timely basis
- Manage the field staff based in Somaliland, review their performance /evaluation)
- Identify capacity deficits among staff members in the NW zone and recommend appropriate ways of addressing them
- Ensure compliance to FAO administrative guidelines by staff members in the zone (with particular attention to those related to travel procedures and security).
- Identify and strengthen partnerships
- Identify capacity deficits among partners in Somaliland and take steps to build their capacity through (SMART training, supervisor training, data analysis/reporting)
- Set up and conduct training for the technical focal points of partner agencies in the designated zone
- Coordinate with partners at country, zonal and regional levels during surveillance and dissemination of Nutrition information
- Support the team in the development and maintenance of professional relationships with key partners in Somaliland and Nairobi.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of specific research initiatives related to nutrition and food security in Somalia.
- Ensure that the nutrition databases are maintained and updated with relevant information from the relevant zone
- Represent the FSNAU Nutrition team in interagency and nutrition cluster meetings as directed by the Nutrition Technical Manager and in line with key areas of FAO’s programme work and research.
- Contribute to the production and dissemination of nutrition information through FSNAU’s routine bulletins.
- Contribute to the nutrition assessment reports produced by other team members providing constructive criticism and additional input and advice where appropriate.
- Provide support to cover the gaps and delegate the relevant responsibilities and activities to the remaining team members to ensure all areas of the project are being supported in the absence of key responsible staff and in consultation with the Nutrition Technical Manager., Co-ordinate all information flow from field staff to a central point during onset of sudden shocks such as conflict and floods
- Act as mentor to all new field Nutrition Analysts
- Monitor communication with partners in relation to assessment planning and analysis – linked to improved coordination at Nairobi and field level.
- Disseminate information and communication through ad-hoc reports, contributions to other reports (FSNAU, UNDP, OCHA etc) to interested parties
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition, Public Health or related degree from a recognized university
- 5 years relevant work experience in nutrition analysis
- Proficiency in analytical software including SPSS, EPinfo, ENA
- Previous experience working in Somalia will be an added advantage.
- Advanced data interpretation and analysis skills
- Excellent communication skills to build understanding and support
- Flexibility to engage in in continuous learning
- Excellent planning and organization skills in order to deliver quality results
- Good understanding of FAO’s mandate and its global context
- Ability to work cohesively in a team, good networking and partnership skills.
Languages: Working knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language used for communication within the country (English, French or Spanish) and working knowledge of the local language(s) is required.IT Skills:
- Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Exchange) etc.
- Ability to use accounting software and other information systems and databases to insert data, make enquiries, retrieve/define ad hoc reports and analyses and edit results in appropriate format.
Office Management Skills:
- Systematic, well-structured and efficient approach to work assignments.
- Analytical ability, accuracy and consistency.
- Exercise diligence and care in dealing with records and expenditures.
Interpersonal Communications and Teamwork Skills:
- The incumbent must possess a cooperative spirit, flexibility and openness to work in an international environment.
- Tact and courtesy.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural background.
How to Apply: Interested applicants are required to submit
(1) a covering letter,
(2) detailed Curriculum Vitae and
(3) Personal Profile form (PPF) from FAO iRecruitment.
How to Apply
To create the PPF, please follow the instructions available at: http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/
In order for your application to be properly evaluated, please ensure that all sections of the on-line profile are completed.Please send your application to [email protected] quoting the Position Title and Vacancy Announcement No. “Nutrition Analyst Hargeisa, FAO 36 2015” in the subject heading. Applications received after the closing date and applications without all the specified/ required documents will not be given consideration.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.