Vacancy: Country Program Manager for the KENYA RAPID Program
Summary: Food for the Hungry Kenya, (a Christian and relief development agency ) is seeking for a County Program Manager for a multi-donor funded 5-year WASH & Livestock program in Kenya. In day to day activities the County Program Manager will provide program lead to the County Coordination Unit (CCU).
Reporting to the FH Program Director, S/he will work closely together with the MWA Chief of Party (COP) and DCOP based in Nairobi and with other technical leads/officers in the program. The County Program Manager will be located in Marsabit.Background: The Kenya Resilient Arid Lands Partnership for Integrated Development (KENYA RAPID) is a Public Private Partnership (PPP) program, in which multiple partners cooperate.
It aims to support sustainable and resilient livelihoods in Kenya’s Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASAL’s), by improving water availability and water service delivery to people and livestock, and improve rangelands.
KENYA RAPID mobilizes financial and technical resources from development partners, national government, county government and the private sector.
Over the next five years (2015-2020) the KENYA RAPID program focuses on five Kenyan ASAL counties with high poverty rates, chronic food and water insecurity and low access to basic services: Marsabit, Garissa, Isiolo, Wajir, and Turkana.
The Kenya RAPID program will facilitate a process that supports the growth and capacity strengthening of public, civil society, community and private sector institutions to increase access to water for people and livestock and rebuild a healthy rangeland management ecosystem.
The program is designed to create a successful intervention model that, with local adaptation, can be replicated by other counties and thus substantially contribute to the Government of Kenya’s goal of universal coverage of WASH services in Kenya by 2030.
There are three strategic objectives:
A responsive and accountable governance framework is in place and operational at county government level that ensures sustainable provision of water and pasture;
Replicable and scalable business models for sustainable WASH and livestock service delivery are developed and operationalized; and
Communities have increased access to sustainable WASH services and improved rangeland management
Position of the County Program Manager
On a day to day operational level, the County Program Manager will provide the KENYA RAPID program lead with close coordination with the County Coordination Unit (CCU) located within the Marsabit County administrative offices.
County Program Manager will work closely with the MWA COP and DCOP in Nairobi and with county employees assigned to work with the CCU team from relevant ministries (e.g. water, agriculture, livestock, health, planning) to implement the approved work plan for the County.
Activities and responsibilities
- In close collaboration with MWA COP and DCOP based in Nairobi, the main responsibilities of the County Program Manager will be to manage the development, planning, implementation and evaluation of the K-RAPID program and to provide leadership to program staff towards achievement of the program goals.
- Provide leadership in the development, planning and implementation of the K-RAPID program operations.
- Provide technical support in design, feasibility studies and construction supervision of all WASH related constructions
- Lead in development of monthly, quarterly and annual plans and budgets including monitoring
- Formulate the general framework and strategy of the K-RAPID program and coordinate with the Program Director and MWA COP/DCOP.
- Conduct needs assessment and design a system of monitoring the program.
- Collaborate with other FHK Managers to identify synergies and possibilities for integration of activities.
- Responsible for final reports (programmatic and financial) for K-RAPID program, in accordance with donor requirements and ensure distribution to donors and other stakeholders.
- Build and maintain a relevant network and coordinate with stakeholders working in the field of expertise of the K-RAPID program and represent FH Kenya in County and national forums.
- Mobilize resources for the K-RAPID program through proposal writing and through forming alliances with concerned funding stakeholders.
- Manage the K-RAPID budget through regularly review of financial statements and ensure good financial management by closely monitoring program activities and expenditures.
- Carry out capacity building and on-the-job mentoring to strengthen the technical skills and capacity of the CCU and County staff and assess training needs.
- Manage assigned staff including performance appraisals, objective setting and mentoring while maintaining high morale and team work.
- Provide administration support to the CCU office located within the Counties
- Organise and provide leadership during CCU meetings and other operational structures to be constituted at the County level
- Participate in K-RAPID governance structures set up at County and National level
- Foster networks for learning and sharing with other partners within the County and in all counties where K-RAPID is being implemented
- Participate in Program Management Meetings and host the meetings as agreed program schedule
- Participate in national and international forums where policy issues on WASH, Livelihoods and rangeland management are discussed.
- Masters in Water or Environmental engineering or similar field with at least 7 years in design and implementation of programs in development context. Experience with international NGOs or UN Agencies is an added advantage.
- Good understanding of Kenyan government policies and structures related to WASH
- Computer fluency required (MS Office, web, etc).
- Proven ability to convene and/or chair high profile meetings
- Proficient in Program Cycle Management (Planning, Assessments, Concept/Proposal Development, Implementation, Reporting, Monitoring and Evaluation) and fundraising
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with staff, partners, and Government
- Vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Technical knowledge and experience in Water, Hygiene and Sanitation
- A broad grasp of Livelihoods and Range management in rural and urban settings
- Experience with working with county governments, civil society, donors and local communities;
- Diplomacy, tact and negotiating skills;
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills
- The ability to work independently, think innovatively and strategically and work effectively within a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detailed understanding and experience of pastoralists, gender and diversity issues and commitment to addressing inequalities in all the key areas of responsibility
- Flexibility in tasks undertaken & ability to work under pressure with strict deadlines
- Extensive knowledge of participatory approaches & Understanding of development/relief issues
- Strong financial/budget management skills required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Job location: Marsabit town with travel to the entire Marsabit County
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications (clearly indicating their current or expected salary), updated CV with three referees, day telephone contacts to the Human Resources Manager: email address [email protected] latest by 25th August 2015.
NB: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.