Vacancy: Hygiene Promotion Officer for the KENYA RAPID Program
Summary: Food for the Hungry Kenya,(a Christian relief and development agency) is seeking a Hygiene Promotion Officer for a multi-donor funded 5-year WASH & Livestock program in Kenya.
In day to day operation the Hygiene Promotion Officer will take the specific responsibility of coordinating all Hygiene promotion activities.
S/he will work closely with the County CCU based in the county and with other technical leads/officers in the program. The Hygiene Promotion Officer will be located in Marsabit.
Background: The Kenya Resilient Arid Lands Partnership for Integrated Development (KENYA RAPID) is a Public Private Partnership (PPP) program, in which multiple partners cooperate.
It aims to support sustainable and resilient livelihoods in Kenya’s Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASAL’s), by improving water availability and water service delivery to people and livestock, improving hygiene and sanitation practices and rangeland management.
KENYA RAPID mobilizes financial and technical resources from development partners, national government, county government and the private sector.
Over the next five years (2015-2020) the KENYA RAPID program focuses on five Kenyan counties with high poverty rates, chronic food and water insecurity and low access to basic services: Marsabit, Garissa, Isiolo, Wajir, and Turkana.
The Kenya RAPID program will facilitate a process that supports the growth and capacity strengthening of public, civil society, community and private sector institutions to increase access to water for people and livestock and rebuild a healthy rangeland management ecosystem.
The program is designed to create a successful intervention model that, with local adaptation, can be replicated by other counties and thus substantially contribute to the Government of Kenya’s goal of universal coverage of WASH services in Kenya by 2030.
There are three strategic objectives:
- A responsive and accountable governance framework is in place and operational at county government level that ensures sustainable provision of water and pasture;
- Replicable and scalable business models for sustainable WASH and livestock service delivery are developed and operationalized; and
- Communities have increased access to sustainable WASH services and improved rangeland management
- Activities and responsibilities
- In close collaboration with the County CCU, the main responsibility of the Hygiene Promotion Officer will be to provide technical expertise on hygiene and sanitation in Marsabit County in order to deliver appropriate, sustainable and environmentally friendly sanitation and hygiene interventions that meets the needs of the beneficiaries.
- Design and ensure effective promotion of appropriate hygiene and sanitation messages
- Mobilise communities to rally for improved hygiene and sanitation
- Support the process of triggering CLTS and ODF certification
- Train communities, CHWs and other staff in CLTS, SLTS and PHAST
- Organise community hygiene campaigns in close collaboration with other stakeholder in the county
- Conduct hygiene awareness and promotion sessions at household level, in public session or organizing public events.
- Mobilize community groups for training on sanitation & hygiene promotion activities.
- Participate in designing and implementing surveys and assessments related to the field of hygiene and sanitation
- Participate in hygiene technical working groups and forums
- Coordinate with Ministry of Public Health(MOPH) and Ministry of Health in the formation of operational networking groups at community level
- Prepare various reports in line with the reporting schedule, including reports on progress of activities.
- Holder of at least National diploma or degree in Public health or community development from a reputable institution plus 3 years working in community based WASH program preferably with an NGO.
- Vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Highly motivated, self-starter able to work on own initiative in difficult conditions
- Excellent report writing skills
- Proficiency in computer skills is a must
- Field experience and knowledge in working on community led total sanitation in ASAL regions.
- Able to speak one of the local languages
Job location: Marsabit town with travel to the entire Marsabit County
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications (clearly indicating their current or expected salary), updated CV with three referees, day telephone contacts to the Human Resources Manager: email address firstname.lastname@example.org latest by 25th August 2015.
NB: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted