Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10026807
Vacancy Notice: 33/2016
Reports to: Protection Officer
Duty Station: Uganda
Post Grade: GL6
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Field Associate will be responsible for supporting all activities related to registration, which will also include functions related to reception, filing and data management. The incumbent will provide counselling to, and responds to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR’s registration procedures and their rights and entitlements. S/he will liaise closely with protection staff and partners to ensure timely identification and referral of persons of concern for protection follow up. The Field Associate will assist in compiling and analyzing information related to registration activities in the operation. The Field Associate will provide interpretation and/or translation services in cases for which s/he has the required language competencies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer support in the implementation of registration strategies and methodologies for populations of concern.
- Carry out registration interviews when required in accordance with registration standards and guidance.
- Provide counselling to, and responds to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR’s registration procedures and their rights and entitlements.
- Maintain accurate and up-to date records and data related to all individual registration cases.
- Identify persons with specific needs and ensure timely referral to protection follow-up as required.
- Collaborate with protection staff and/or partners in the delivery of assistance and programming, including provision of identity and entitlement documentation.
- Draft correspondence and reports relating to registration activities in the operation, when required
- Provide statistics and draft reports related to registration data, as requested.
- Act as interpreter and translator when needed.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Key Performance Indicators:
- UNHCR’s Registration Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are implemented in accordance with relevant UNHCR standards and policies.
- Persons of concern have fair and transparent access to registration procedures.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Field Associate job placement should have secondary education with post-secondary training/certificate in Social science, Statistics, Mathematics, Information Technology, or related fields.
- At least five years of related job experience.
- Good computer skills, particularly in data management.
- Excellent knowledge of English and local language.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 8th January, 2017