Field Manager – Nuru Energy Research Project
Field Manager – Nuru Energy Research Project
Desired start date: ASAP
Length of Commitment: 6 months
No of Positions: 1
Reports to: Research Associate and Research Manager
Application materials: Please complete the online application form, which can be found here: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2351030/IPARwanda-FM-EnergyProject
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA), is an international non-profit research organization. Based in New Haven, CT, with offices in Washington, D.C. and worldwide, IPA works with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches to solving development problems, to communicate “what works” in development and to scale up successful projects in a variety of fields, including health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture.
Nuru Energy is an international social enterprise with operations in Rwanda. They provide low-cost, efficient LED rechargeable lights to those living in remote areas, off the country’s electricity grid. In partnership with Nuru, IPA is looking to examine the socio-economic, health, and behavioral impact of both consumers and franchisees of the product.
Nuru Energy uses locally selected entrepreneurs – called village level entrepreneurs (VLEs) – to distribute and recharge lights in each village that it operates. One of the objectives of this study is to observe the impact of gender dynamics within the household and community, and look at how female-led VLEs’ operations could differ from those of their male counterparts, as well as the lasting impact that these female-driven enterprises have in the community (in terms of perception).
The Field Manager will play a critical role in mobilizing and coordinating all field activities relating to the project’s pilot.
For this project, we will be working within two districts (Nyanza and Huye) in the country and collecting data from local households and VLEs.
Summary of roles and responsibilities(please note that this is not an exhaustive list):
The Field Manager position provides an excellent opportunity to gain hands‐on experience in a field setting with a vibrant organization undertaking cutting‐edge development research. The Field Manager will work closely with the research staff and field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
• Hiring, training, and managing the field teams that will conduct the data collection,
• Ensuring that all IPA data quality protocols are followed,
• Creating detailed Field Plans describing team schedules and households to visit,
• Managing field logistics and adapting Field Plan to changing conditions as necessary,
• Assisting in procuring products and getting approvals from local authorities,
• Supporting data collection and monitoring data quality,
• Assisting in piloting and translation of questionnaires,
• Establishing appropriate auditing protocols
• Establishing editing and tracking systems
• Making daily updates to a field logbook to track activities and data questions,
• Providing relevant inputs on local context and assist research staff in coordinating relationships with local officials
• Maintaining a database of surveyors and other useful data collection contacts and resources
A successful Field Manager is detail-oriented and has excellent organizational skills and who will be committed to our high standards of data quality. The position requires strong leadership and communication skills. In addition, the following qualifications and experience are desired.
• At least 3 years of experience working on qualitative and quantitative data collection, with management experience is necessary.
• Extensive knowledge of quantitative data collection; a passion for learning best practices and innovations is desired.
• In addition to English, written and spoken fluency in Kinyarwanda is essential.
• Prior experience managing teams and strong leadership skills are necessary.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools (including Excel) is necessary.
• Ability to travel is required.
• Prior experience with Computer Assisted Interviewing (specifically Open Data Kit/ or SurveyCTO), GPS data collection and the development of corresponding applications is preferred.
• Prior experience in creating and implementing Field Plans for team logistics is preferred
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Economics or Business Studies is preferred.
• Strong organizational and management skills.
• Strong communications skills.
• Attention to detail, ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently and work effectively on a team.
Click the link below to apply