Field Security Officer – REGAL-IR Job at Adeso
Reporting to: Operations Manager – REGAL-IR
Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African-based international development and humanitarian organization. We assist communities to help them realize their full potential, working alongside them to create facilitative environments in which they can thrive.
Field Security Job Position Summary
- Under the direct supervision of the Operations Manager, the FSO will be the focal point for REGAL-IR staff safety and security in the five program operational counties of Marsabit, Wajir, Turkana and Garissa Counties.
- Based in Garissa the FSO will travel extensively and work with the LSO and the Field Operations Assistants in the counties to ensure safety and security of staff and organisational assets.
The FSO role has three primary objectives:
- To inform senior management in HQ on safety and security related issues and ensure that they are kept informed of al security developments and are in a position to take appropriate action when required.
- To ensure that appropriate systems and procedures are in place to maximize the safety and security of all Adeso staff and that these systems and procedures are adhered to at all times.
- To work with County leads and FOAs at all levels to ensure that safety and security is mainstreamed into all areas of operations.
Field Security Job Specific Roles & Responsibilities
- Produce weekly security reports for the Program SMT that review any incidents in Adeso sites, summarize relevant external sitreps and analyze social/economic information from media sources that may impact the operation of Adeso/REGAL IR’s programs.
- Ensure that all incidents are reported, analyzed and actions taken where necessary implement incident tracking system.
- Ensure that the Field Safety Security and Evaluation Plans are reviewed and updated on a regular basis to ensure relevance.
- Ensure that all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) relating to safety and security are reviewed and updated on a regular basis.
- With the Program Operations Manager and the Regional Security Manager, develop contingency plans, ensuring that staffs understand their roles in an emergency and that Adeso has quite requisite resources to carry out the contingency plans
- Provide all staff with Constant Companion Cards, ensuring that the contact information on the card is up to date.
- Maintain a Program Emergency Contact database with up to date information for all staff
- Ensure that Program security information is accessible on the share drive
Health and Safety
- With the appropriate Logistics staff, ensure that all offices and Adeso Guest Houses have fully stocked, up-to-date First Aid and PEP Kits
- Ensure that appropriate fire safety equipment is in place in offices, compounds and vehicles. Ensure that staff is aware of what to do in the event of a fire
- Liaise with LSO to ensure that all vehicles have the necessary safety and security equipment
- Develop REGAL IR security phone trees and maintain the Adeso warden system in all counties
- Update the security induction materials on a regular basis and provide inductions to all new staff
- Ensure that drivers and guards receive appropriate training to carry out their duties in a manner that keeps Adeso employees safe and secure.
- Identify trainings that are appropriate to the needs of Adeso/REGAL IR staff and maintain a database of security trainings undertaken by individual staff. These trainings include, but are not limited to personal safety, first aid and security management.
- Train staff on various means of communication, including the use of radios and satellite phones
- Attend security coordination meetings and report back to the SMT on relevant information
- Develop contacts amongst UN, NGOs, government and others and share security information with them on a regular basis
- Carry out bi-annual threat assessments in each of the field sites
- Assess communication equipment in each field site to ensure that it is adequate, in working order, kept in accessible and secure locations and that staff are trained on the various forms of communications available to them.
- Visit field sites on a quarterly basis and provide assistance as per TOR agreed with County Leads and the Operations Manager; provide detailed field report at the end of each trip.
- Carry out assessment reports for all Adeso/REGAL IR Program offices and Guesthouses and advise REGAL-IR LMT on vulnerabilities and propose solutions.
- Carry out security monitoring in all field offices via HF Radio communication and documenting the opening and closing occurrences.
Skills & Qualifications for Field Security Job
- Graduate degree/diploma in security management or its equivalent in relevant field;
- At least 2 years’ experience working with INGOs in a security management position and/or field coordinator position with security management responsibility
- Formal training in security management
- Ability to work and network with a multicultural team
- Ability to work under pressure to pursue multiple tasks simultaneously to successful conclusions;
- Understanding and acceptance of the varying standards required and the problems inherent within the context of work in the ASAL counties and sensitivity to mixed cultures;
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft packages; including Excel, Word and Outlook (particularly Excel)
- Excellent report writing skills;
- Committed team player
- Highly organized and self-motivated
How to Apply
- This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team and help contribute to better resilience and economic growth for African communities, please submit your application to email@example.com, quoting the position in the email subject matter by 28th July 2016. Kindly note that applications screening and interviews will be on a rolling basis.
- Each application should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager and include the following:
- An updated CV
- An application letter which should include cover letter, remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
- Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. We regret that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.