Job Title: Finance and Administration Assistant
Organization: Spark MicroGrants
Duty Station: Uganda
Spark MicroGrants is pioneering a new method of community development. Spark supports rural poor communities to design, implement and manage their own social impact projects. We provide microgrants of between $2,000-$10,000 to enable project implementation, such as of a school, electricity line or farm. No interest or repayment of the funds granted is requested. We work with local Facilitators who lead these communities through a series of weekly meetings to help communities plan for their projects. Once the plan is complete, we give small grants for project implementation.
Job Summary: The Finance and Administration Assistant will work closely with the Finance and Administration Officer (FAO) to ensure the effective financial management of the Northern Ugandan program in Gulu. The Finance Assistant will provide financial support to the FAO in managing, reconciling, and updating all financial transactions for our Northern Uganda program. This is a tremendous opportunity for a young finance assistant to learn and strengthen his or her financial knowledge while also strengthening the organizational capacity of a rapidly growing and innovative NGO.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Update and maintain accounting records in accordance with financial procedures
• The incumbent will ensure all cash and bank transactions are recorded on time and accurately on the cash tracker
• In charge of verifying community receipts before grants are disbursed to the community partner’s accounts.
• Maintain the cash safe to ensure funds are available for all authorized transactions at office
• Conduct weekly cash counts and petty cash reconciliations.
• The incumbent will prepare and manage payments and administer petty cash and reimbursements of staff expenses
• Ensure that cheque books and invoices are well accounted for and are kept in a safe and secure custody.
• Work closely with the FAO to provide assistance during the Country internal and external audits.
• Ensure proper maintenance and care of Spark’s assets
• Grant disbursal and update of community files according to the disbursed amount.
• Schedule, manage and monitor all bills for the Northern Uganda Office. These include but are not limited to utilities (Power, internet and water), Rent and motorcycle maintenance.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The ideal candidate should preferably hold a University degree in Finance, accounting or any other related field.
• A minimum of two years’ experience in an NGO and grants management.
• Working knowledge of Excel
• Skills and knowledge of accounting, grants management, financial management
• Keen attention to detail, good at closing out projects, stays motivated through lots of tracking/admin/follow up work.
Qualified applicants must be able to answer ‘yes’ to all of the following questions:
• Are you able to learn and problem-solve independently without waiting for external motivation to work hard?
• Are you bored when not being challenged?
• Do you believe in leadership through inclusion, empathy and mutual accountability?
• Are you able to maintain a keen attention to detail without losing sight of the big picture?
• Do you thrive in a passionate and entrepreneurial organization?
• Do you love writing formulas and building Excel spreadsheets?
• Are you able to implement policies and procedures in a clear, engaging and supportive way?
• Do you love playing with numbers?
• Are you interested in developing exciting new business practices for a nonprofit?
• Are you excited about working to bring dignity and inclusion back to development?
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified applicants are encouraged to send their updated resume/CVs and cover letters to: [email protected] Please clearly label your E-mail subject line using this format: Finance and Administration Assistant <Your Name>.
Deadline: 30th October, 2015