Job Title: Finance and Administration Manager
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Regional Finance Manager
Hivos is an international development organization inspired by humanist values. Hivos seeks to contribute to a free, fair and sustainable world, where women and men, boys and girls have equal access to resources and opportunities for development. Hivos works through two main domains; the Open Society which works towards building open and democratic societies and a Green society that works towards a sustainable society in which people can flourish without compromising the planetary boundaries and the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. Hivos develops context sensitive pro-active approaches; questioning dominant practices, offering critical analysis and evidence, signaling promising tends and bringing players together to co-create solutions. Social innovation is Hivos’ co-business.
Hivos is rolling out a new programme in Uganda dubbed: “Connecting voices of citizens to protect and promote civic spaces and freedom of expression in Uganda.” The programme seeks to strengthen the capacities of citizens, change agents and civil society organizations to promote and protect civic spaces and accountable governance. Through the various strategies that the programme will employ, it will inspire change and open up dialogue between local Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) change agents and political leaders that will facilitate an enabling environment for freedom of expression, transparency and accountability. This programme will support the efforts of the different groups of people (journalists, bloggers, artistes, women, human rights defenders and change agents) to promote greater regard for the rule of law as well as access to justice and social services by the citizens.
Job Summary: The Finance and Administration Manager will provide support the social accountability programme in Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Grant Management and Financial Reporting:
- The incumbent will administer donor and grantee contracts in terms of ‘rights and obligations’ Hivos should comply with.
- Operate remittance schedules and reporting cycles and prepare internal and external financial and programme statements.
- Support the Programme Leaders with their internal and external reporting obligations.
- Manage donor and implementing contracts; and manages the related cash flow and reporting schedules.
- Administer and review the income statements of the programmes.
- Regularly reviews and administers revenue and expenditure and income statements for partners and partner contracts assigned to Hivos, according to donor and Hivos regulations and procedures.
- Assess budgets and financial statements of partners.
- Improve accounting and reporting methods and capabilities of Hivos and partners.
- Carry out monitoring and support visits to Hivos partners in the SA programme.
- Ensure efficient financial monitoring and follow up of the programme
- Manage the annual internal and external audit cycles of Hivos Uganda.
- Securing and maintaining project funding from institutional funders:
- Work in liaison with the Programme Development Managers, Programme Officers and Programme Managers to identify and build relationships with donor agencies, and other organizations of strategic interest to Hivos.
- Prepare financial aspects of Hivos proposals according to requirements & procedures and provides financial and administrative assistance to Programme teams.
- Work closely with PDMs and Communication & Programme Teams to share information about programme portfolio, pipeline projections, specific programmes and projects.
- Design and prepare budgets and financial aspects of Programme proposals.
- Carry out financial reporting of the programme to the donor.
- Policy and Strategy Development: Significantly contribute to strategic planning for Hivos including annual planning, financial budgeting cycle and end term review (ETR).
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a first degree in Business Administration or equivalent qualification;
- The applicant should hold professional accounting qualifications i.e. CPA Final or ACCA (final);
- A minimum of seven years of progressive experience in finance and administrative positions in social and/or commercial enterprises;
- Excellent track record in developing and managing administrative and operational support systems including internal controls and external financial audits;
- Working knowledge of ICT general computer skills.
- Personal integrity.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Team worker.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience working in Transparency and Accountability, Freedom of Expression and Women’s Rights sectors in Uganda or East Africa.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send a cover letter and updated CVs to [email protected] with the Subject as: Finance and Administration Manager, Uganda.
Deadline: 29th February 2016