Finance Assistant (SC5) Job at UNDP
Under the overall supervision of the Finance Specialist, and direct supervision of the Finance Associate, the Finance Assistant provides financial services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Finance Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Finance Assistant works in close collaboration with the Operations, Management Support and Business Development, Programme and other teams in the CO and with UNDP HQs staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Finance Assistant Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide support in the implementation of programme/operations strategies;
- Provide support to budgeting and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system;
- Provide accounting and administrative support;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Provides support in the implementation of programme / operations strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules and regulations and other relevant policies on financial recording / reporting system and follow-up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system;
- Provide inputs for preparation of cost sharing, trust fund and other agreements;
- Follow up on contributions within the CO resource mobilization efforts;
- Handle project related requests for office and field as directed by the supervisor.
Provides effective support to budgeting and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide information for formulation of work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements and execution modalities;
- Prepare Budget and their Revisions for Joint Enablers Budget (XB) including correctly computed GMS and DPC;
- Monitor the expenditures and prepare reversals if necessary;
- Track and prepare spreadsheets on mobilized resources for the project;
- Process of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for services provided, implementation of the income tracking system and follow up on cost recovery on behalf of UNDSS;
- Prepare and monitor staff allowances through F10 Claims;
- Analyze, verify and process bills for UNDSS e.g. Telephone, Car Hire, etc. and ensure they are distributed within the budget appropriately;
- Proper control of supporting documents;
- Maintain the filing system;
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to the head of unit.
Provides accounting and administrative support focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure attachment of proper supporting documents for payments, preparation of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for NEX/DEX projects and non-PO vouchers for development projects;
- Process transactions ensuring correct records and posting in Atlas in conformity with the internal expenditures control system;
- Timely corrective actions on erroneous data in Atlas;
- Assist with compiling data for internal / external audit;
- Provide inputs to reports including donor reports;
- Ensure monthly reconciliation of other related financial bills.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participate in organizing training for the office staff on programme/operations related issues;
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in programme finance;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in programme financial resources management and success in implementation of programme/operations strategies.
- Accurate analysis and presentation of financial information enhances UNDP position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision making by Management.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to perform a variety of standard specialized and non-specialized tasks and work processes that are fully documented, researched, recorded and reported;
- Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies, identify and resolve operational problems;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Good knowledge of financial rules and regulations and Results Management Guide, ccounting;
- Strong IT skills, Atlas;
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system.
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on result for the client;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change;
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view.
Required Skills and Experience for Finance Assistant Job
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
- 5 years of progressively responsible finance experience is required. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
How to Apply
Click here to apply