- The Finance Assistant – Payables is responsible for the day-to-day bank payables in the Nairobi office, while assisting in the operation of SCI accounting systems to ensure the finance team meets its responsibilities.
Finance Assistant Job Key Areas Of Accountability
- Invoice Registration and processing
- Ensure internal controls are maintained by reviewing payment documents from Nairobi departments and all field offices and check for completeness of the supporting documentation and accuracy of chart of accounts codes
- Receive invoices from field offices and ensure proper support documents are all in place
- Follow up with relevant colleagues for missing documents.
- Prepare Invoice Authorization Form or Bank Payment Request Form and forward for processing
- Maintain invoice tracker report and ensure all invoices are paid on time
- Maintain a schedule of regular utility bills and follow-up on bills to ensure they are paid before the due date
- Ensure Withholding tax payments are done timely and agresso reconciliation is done on a monthly basis
- Prepare monthly commitments for BVA preparation
- Working with other teams (HR, Logistics, Awards, field teams etc.) to ensure the payment process is improved
- Suggest ways to improve the payments processes when gaps are identified
- Ensure that payments made on behalf of other SC Programmes have the necessary authorization and approved budget codes and relate to active awards as per the document checklist
- Maintain and update the schedule of regular utility bills and follow-up on bills to ensure they are paid before the due date
- Escalate any unresolved issues or pending queries
- Upload DV sheet from AGRESSO and share with Staff on a weekly basis.
- Provide support with posting of invoices and General Journal entries
- Preparation of System Bank reconciliations for Area Field offices
- Preparation of weekly Nairobi petty cash GLACOS
- Support payroll management (Preparation of the payroll )
- Preparation of Terminal Grant payments and Terminal Grant Agresso Account reconciliation
- Report on status of Terminal Grants Payments on a monthly basis
- Support in Medical and Other Staff Insurance Reconciliations
- Internal and external audit support
- Any other responsibility as assigned by Line Manager
Skills & Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Qualifications & Experience for Finance Assistant Job
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting with a GPA 3.5 and above or equivalent and Minimum CPA III or ACCA Professional Level OR;
- Professional Qualification CPA (K) or Professional qualifications in Accounting (CPA-K) or ACCA Affiliate with a commitment to pursue a degree qualification
- Recommended a minimum of 2 years’ experience within a busy working environment such as INGOs
- Candidates who show genuine desire to serve with demonstrated good character, honesty and high competency
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Excellent computer skills especially in MS Excel spread sheets and MS Word.
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written, preferred
- Commitment to Save the Children values
How to Apply
Click here to apply