Job Title: Finance Controller Reports to:
Chief Executive Officer
Supervises: Accountant(s), Assistant Accountant, Procurement Officer
Department / Section / Program: Finance / Management
Job Based at: Somaliland
Job Purpose Summary: Our client a manufacturing and trading company based in Somaliland is seeking to fill the position of Finance Controller who will contribute to the overall success of the Company by effectively managing all financial tasks, overseeing budgeting, accounting and monitoring of internal control environment and reporting activities.
The Controller will be involved in supporting presentations to the board finance and audit committee and work closely with the senior management team.
The incumbent will lead all day-to-day finance operations and supervise a team of account staff members including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and grants/ fund management administration.
You will also ensure that the Company has the systems and procedures in place to support effective implementation and conduct flawless audits.
Key ResponsibilitiesPreparation of Accounts and Reporting
- Ensure the preparation of timely and accurate monthly management accounts and reports for Executive and management teams.
- Responsibility for all journals and final GL balances including review of month end balance sheet reconciliations and control accounts
- Ensure the accuracy and integrity of the accounting records and financial systems
- Production of statutory accounts as and when required in accordance with the relevant accounting principles and the legislation of the countries in which they operate
- Play a full part in providing relevant & timely financial information to the management and Board to enable a balanced and objective assessment of the Group’s strategy and objectives.
- Develop, implement, and maintain appropriate reporting standards and procedures for financial and management reports.
- Assist with analysis, negotiation, financing and operational integration of business acquisitions.
- Operations Management Accounting
- Provide accurate and timely reporting on the financial activity of different transactions.
- Budgets and Forecasts Preparation
- Develop the annual plan, including production of budgets, forecasts and capital expenditure plans in consultation with the senior management.
- Continued monitoring & review of performance against the budgets/forecasts to enable robust reporting of variances to the Board, management and third party stakeholders.
- Assist project staff with the preparation of budgets for funding applications.
- Work closely with business units to identify profit improvement opportunities and strategies.
- Support the Chief Executive Officer with value management, equity and debt raising and asset & liability management.
Financial Management & Controls
- Effectively manage the working capital components with specific attention to stock, debtors and cash balances.
- Cost control, ensure that actual costs do not exceed the budgeted amounts
- Cash Flow management, ensure that the company cash flow is well managed.
- Active management of overheads whilst seeking out areas for efficiencies for savings
- Overseeing monthly processing of payroll and payments to employees to ensure adherence to the approved HR policies, Employment Law and Tax Laws.
- Review and update, in line with good practice, the company’s internal control environment and produce a Controls and Procedures manual for review and adoption by management
- To assist the Accountant in respect of periodic reports to the Audit Committee explaining the processes adopted and undertaken by management to keep under regular review the effectiveness of internal controls covering financial, operational & compliance controls.
- Play an active role in assisting management in the risk assessment process and embedding a risk management culture throughout the Company.
- Develop and maintain financial accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit control, and petty cash.
- Support the Chief Executive Officer in the development and execution of the company’s taxation strategy.
- Ensure returns for Corporation tax and other relevant taxes are submitted, payments made on time and all relevant regulations are complied with.
- To take a lead role in the installation and implementation of suitable accounting system
- Ensure that on a client per client basis, financial flows are properly recorded into the accounting system and reports can be provided to the respective clients.
- Working closely with IT to ensure users have access to the key components of the accounting system, receive adequate training and have the essential reports readily available to facilitate decision making and problem solving.
- Effectively manage, motivate and develop the Finance department
- Supervise & review performance of individuals in the team
- Implementation of a change management culture by challenging & replacing established processes and procedures where necessary
- Promote the organization’s vision with team members to ensure corporate and business unit objectives are achieved
- Liaise with different departments to ensure the Finance department is properly supporting the needs of the operating businesses
- Manage relationships with auditors, tax advisers, brokers, bankers and other parties as directed by the Chief Executive Officer.
- Keep key stakeholders up to date on progress against key milestones.
- Ensure the Chief Executive Officer/management is kept informed of industry developments which are relevant to the operation of an efficient finance function.
- Represent Finance in applicable operations steering committees.
- Carry out any further tasks for which your qualifications & experience are suited as directed by the Company.
Educational Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience:
- Minimum of 6 to 10 years working experience in a busy commercial setting
- A university degree in Finance, Commerce, Accounting, Business Management or related qualification. A Masters degree in Finance, strategic management will be added advantage.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), ACCA, Certified Management Accountant or other professional qualifications in accounting.
- Knowledge of accounting internal control principles, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge and well versed in computerized systems including accounting software
- Knowledge of cash flow management, including raising external funding and investments.
- Good commercial knowledge as well as a sound understanding of financial issues, including current accounting standards.
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments.
- Success Factors:
- Entrepreneurial/business acumen skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision making skills to evaluate alternatives and provide recommendations on business issues.
- Good judgment skills to ensure that the company receives value for money in all financial dealings.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with demonstrated ability to prioritize and execute work on time.
- Proven computer skills, proficient with MS office applications including excel and accounting software/systems. Skills in the use of accounting system will be an added advantage.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Keen attention to detail and deadline-Oriented
- Financial report writing skills
- Interpersonal skills, team working with ability to work in cross cultural and diverse team
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non- finance managers.
- Flexible and ability to adapt or change to new situations and handle high levels of uncertainty
- Training and facilitation skills
- Innovative as needed to meet the demands of the operating environment
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to the Company’s mission.
How to Apply
If you are interested apply to [email protected]