Finance Officer Job at African Academy Of Sciences, Kenya
Vacancy Number AAS/16/FO/003
Reporting to Finance and Admin Manager (FAM)
Organisation African Academy of Sciences
The AAS is a pan African organisation headquartered in Kenya, which aims to drive sustainable development in Africa through science technology and innovation.
- The Finance Officer has overall responsibility of providing timely and efficient accounting and financial support service to the AAS office. The position reports to the Finance and Administration Manager (FAM).
Finance Officer Job Specific Responsibilities:
- Initiate local and international payments cheques and wire transfers ensuring they are complete and accurate and that funds have reached the designated recipients
- Ensure that all payments have adequate supporting documents and that all necessary authorisations have been obtained
- Stamp all paid invoices with the “PAID” Stamp to avoid double payment
- Work with the in-charge of payables in reconciling transactions involving suppliers and other service providers regularly
- Liaise with suppliers and staff by way of sending out remittance advice(s) and/or staff upon receipt of daily bank statements and providing response to any queries that may arise
- Update and maintain all payment transactions in Ms Dynamics Serenic Navigator in a timely/accurate manner
- Update and manage current suppliers’/staff’ banking details in the online banking facility
- Work with HR/Admin/Grant Accountants and/or Programmes in promptly investigating any complaints regarding payment and/or payment delay that would not have been received and keep the payee and requester updated accordingly
- File and/or facilitate proper custody of all source documents in the ledger
- Initiate timely payment of staff salaries and any allowances
- Scan and file payments online
- Manage Petty Cash and Imprest payments and reconciliations in Kshs and USD.
- Work with FAM in monitoring all bank balances and foreign exchange rates regularly and collaborate with bankers and FAM in ensuring optimal benefit accrues to AAS
- Initiate interbank transfers and/or foreign currency sale in a timely manner and in accordance with the established standards and policies
- Negotiate and compare exchange rates with the banks and advise Senior Finance & Systems Officer accordingly
- Ensure safe custody of cheque books and order new ones in a timely manner
- Ensure that the ledger balances are in agreement with the bank statements at least weekly.
- Prepare and submit monthly status reports/schedules relating to other receivables/cash balances/payment statistics by the 3rd day of each month
- Prepare monthly cash forecasts and previous month payment statistics to develop and implement new cash planning tools to be applied at the AAS
- Work with FAM to carry out customer satisfaction survey to obtain baseline and monitor once a year on treasury/staff accounts
- Preparation of accurate monthly cash flow statements and cash forecasts
- Work with FAM in reviewing content and presentation of the AAS net financial position on a monthly basis.
Withholding Tax and payroll statutory payments and returns
- Reconcile the Withholding Tax (WHT) account by the 15th of each month
- Prepare WHT cheque and returns forms and submit to the revenue authority before the 20th of each month
- Ensure the WHT certificates are sent to consultants/providers of services in a timely manner
- Prepare statutory payroll deductions (NSSF/NHIF/PAYE/HELB) cheques and ensure submission of returns and pay cheques before the due date i.e. 9th and 15th of each month respectively.
- Assist the FAM in preparing any other report for submission to any other body.
- Assist in preparation for external audits and review of various accounts’ balances
- Coordinate staff circularisation
- Provide direct support in the external financial audit process, especially in furnishing of required information to an audit questions that may arise, as relates payments, cash balances and receivables
- Assist in the drafting of the annual audit report.
Key Qualifications for Finance Job
- Bachelor of Commerce degree in accounting or related discipline; and/or ACCA /CPA certifications.
- Minimum of four years’ work experience in the field of accounting
- Knowledge of processing payments through online Banking required
- Knowledge of non-profit organisation accounting regulations an advantage
- Computer proficiency and familiarity with a range of software applications including MS Excel, MS Word, and other accounting packages
- Knowledge of MS Dynamics Serenic Navigator or Ms Navision an added advantage.
Criteria for Success
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organisational skills and ability to work under pressure
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills including a strong accounting background
- Strong interpersonal skills, courtesy, tact, patience and team orientation
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to details
- Ability to multi-task and to prioritise work amidst competing demands
- Exposure to non-profit activities and financial reporting a plus
- Commitment to AAS’s mission and core values
Interested internal candidates should submit:
- An application letter that includes how the candidate’s previous experience matches the requirements of the position.
- A completed job application form
- An updated CV including relevant work experience and qualifications.
- A recommendation from your supervisor.
These should be sent electronically to HR [email protected] no later than 26 August 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interested external candidates should submit:
How to Apply
An application letter that includes how the candidate’s previous experience matches the requirements of the position. A job application form available here An updated CV including relevant work experience, qualifications and 3 quoted referees. These should be sent electronically to HR [email protected]no later than 31 August 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.