As a member of the East Africa Finance and Administration team, the Finance Officer supports the IFAW mission by maintaining financial tracking systems and producing financial reports and analysis to support the office staff in managing budgets and projects in the most accurate, efficient and cost effective manner possible.
Reports To: Finance and Administration Manager
Job Location: Kenya, East Africa
This position is also responsible for monitoring and reconciling various general ledger accounts and sub ledgers in order to ensure completeness, accuracy and valuation of account balances.
The Finance Officer is a customer support oriented position that requires a high level of flexibility, proactivity, and responsiveness to dynamic business needs.
Finance Officer Job Responsibilities
- Assist in the preparation of payment requests for invoices and other reimbursements for further approval by department and budget managers ensuring compliance with the organization’s accounting, financial and operational policies as well as coding accuracy, appropriate authorizations, business purpose and evidence of value for payment.
- Ensure completeness of documentation.
- Record approved invoices in the accounting system in an accurate and timely manner.
- Prepare and schedule vendor disbursements and staff expense reimbursements utilizing the accounting and treasury systems. Payment methods include check, cash, direct debit and electronic transfer.
- Create and maintain vendor specific payment templates in the treasury and/or accounting systems for electronic payments.
- Post payments in the accounting system in an accurate and timely manner.
- Reconcile cash, petty cash, prepayments, accruals, travel advances and other balance sheet accounts as assigned.
- Prepare schedules and propose journal entries to support monthly and fiscal yearend closing and annual financial statement audits.
- Ensure compliance with institutional policies as well as terms and conditions for restricted grants, contracts or other funding sources.
- Compile requested documentation to support the annual financial statement and other statutory audits.
- Participate in the ongoing development and education of non-finance staff regarding institutional and local office policies and procedures.
Budgeting & Reporting
- Analyze monthly actual to budget performance and provide supporting narrative summaries and reports to staff.
- Support the development of local office budgets and work plans as part of the annual budgeting and planning cycle.
- Maintain excel-based (or other systemized) detailed tracking systems to efficiently and accurately account for restricted grants and other projects. Ensure timely and complete supporting documentation for all related transactions.
- In coordination with Finance and Administration Manager, provide ongoing education and information to staff regarding restricted grant award terms and conditions. Funding sources may include USAID and other US and
- European federal agencies.
- Support the preparation of grant reporting for submission to funding agencies.
- Participate in the review of financial reports from Grantees to ensure completeness and compliance with award terms.
- Conduct audits, including site visits, to Grantees
- Provide required documentation for the organization’s Grants database and ensure full reconciliation with the general ledger.
- Serve as backup to the Finance and Administration Manager in executing monthly payroll including calculation and preparation of wage statements, salary, tax, withholdings and other related payments and filings.
- Support the review and development of contracts and other agreements, ensuring compliance with jurisdictional and organizational requirements.
- Act as IFAW bank agent and assist with cash collection, deposits, cheque book collection etc.
Requirements for the Finance Officer Job
- Minimum 3 to 5 years general accounting experience. CPA graduate. A university degree graduate in
- Commerce, Economics, Business Administration or related field will be considered.
- Experience with accounting and reporting for USAID or other federal agency funding is desirable.
- Advanced computer knowledge and expertise with Microsoft Office software required. Experience with, or knowledge of Oracle Financial or other related financial software preferred.
- Ability to manage and prioritize competing demands, deadlines and processes with an exceptional customer service ethic and orientation.
- Demonstrate proactive critical thinking and practical problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills with attention to detail.
- Effective communication skills and ability to operate in a culturally diverse international organization.
How to Apply
Please forward letter of interest, CV, and copy of credentials to the following 2 emails simultaneously: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Your application should include your current and expected salary and benefits. The subject for your application should read: FTC075 Finance Officer
Applications should be received before close of business, Friday, 17th March 2017.