The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The NRC Somalia Country Programme is part of the NRC Horn of Africa, Yemen, Uganda and South Sudan regional mission.Prioritized activities focus on shelter and infrastructure construction; water, hygiene and sanitation; emergency education including youth education; food security; protection and information, counselling and legal Assistance (ICLA).
The purpose of the Food Security Specialist position is technical development of the specific Sector, strategic direction and quality assurance.
This same advert may be used to deployment to other Country offices other than one initial published for.
- Generic Responsibilities
- Develop the Food Security strategy, technical guidance and Macro LFAs
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports
- Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within the Food Security Sector, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support
- Ensure that key learnings are extracted from Food Security implementation, and incorporate them in Food Security implementation and staff development processes
- Provide systematic training and build capacity of technical staff
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Specific responsibilities
- To promote the Food Security strategy and its understanding amongst NRC Food Sec. staff
- To contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposals and budgets as necessary.
- To ensure high quality project implementation by working closely with the project managers and project coordinators in a technical capacity.
- Support the Program Development Unit on donor and cluster reporting across the sector for Somalia
- Work with the AMs, HOP and M&E Coordinator on food security project monitoring including baselines, end-lines, midterm reviews, lesson learning exercises and evaluations and ensure learning informs programming
- Responsible for monitoring the sector specific situation in the country and initiate relevant assessments to increase scope, respond to emergencies or adapt the program to the context.
- Support in recruitment of technical staff across the country program.
- Capacity building of food security staff in the country program
- Contribute with sector/technical information for relevant internal and external sharing.
- Contribute to an effective M&E system in the country
- Work with project teams on Value for Money and cost efficiency
- Undertake any other duties assigned by the CD or HoP as and when required
- Ensure beneficiary complaints mechanisms and Accountability to the Affected Population is strengthened.
- Remain updated on all relevant political and Government policy issues related to food security
- Build and maintain good external relationships and coordination with relevant food security actors in SS
- Minimum 4 years of experience within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Experience in both emergency and resilience and livelihoods programming
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Knowledge of the context in Somalia is an advantage
- Experience with living in basic conditions and with field travel.
- Experience from advocacy work is an advantage
- Experience with emergency and recovery work and how to link the responses is an advantage.
- Agricultural / Forestry / Aquaculture
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Initiate action and change
- Commencement: March, 2017
- Contract period: 12 months, with possibility of extension
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Duty station: Mogadishu
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected