Are you an intern keen interest in the work of the United Nations? Check out this latest Internship at the UN Habitat and apply
Administrative Assistant City Planning, Extension and Design Unit
Department/Office: United Nations Human Settlements Programme
Administration Internship Responsibilities
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background; the intern’s assigned office as well as the internship period.
- Under the direct supervision of the Programme Management Officer and Team Leader of Urban Planning and Design Branch and in collaboration with the Branch Administrative Assistants to assist in the development of the Urban Planning agenda activities in liaison with UNON and other service providers.
- The Intern will be involved in supporting the Branch activities and will in particular:
- Assist in the daily activities of the Branch by supporting administrative functions and following up administrative actions.
- Assist in financial management.
- Contribute to the organization of expert meetings, preparation of field missions and publications.
- Support in the smooth organization of the Branch administrative work by supporting core administrative functions such as filing, inventory, record keeping
- Filing and organizing branch shared drive
- Managing of equipment and inventory
- Followup on administrative actions initiated by the Branch
- Taking minutes and preparing draft reports of internal meetings particularly related to internal organization and procedures for administrative support
- Provide administrative assistance to travel, procurement and contracting activities
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having twoway communication
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
- Places team agenda before personal agenda
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
Education for Administration Internships
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a oneyear period of graduation.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications.
- Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Preferred area of study:
- Currently pursuing a degree in office management or related fields.
- Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this internship, fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of another UN Language is desirable.
- Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.
How to Apply
Click here to apply