Administrative Assistant Job at UNEP
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. This post is located in the Office for Operations of the Executive Office in UNEP, at the Nairobi duty station.
Under the supervision of the Senior Human Resources Advisor, the Staff Assistant will be responsible for the following:
Admin Assistant Job Responsibilities
Human Resources Management
- Initiates, reviews, processes and follows-up on actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment of staff and consultants, placement, promotion, relocation, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Responds to enquiries and provides information and advice to staff regarding their entitlements, administrative procedures, processes and practices, conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
- Oversees the maintenance of vacancy announcement files and keeps track of status of vacancy announcements. Reviews and processes personnel actions through IMIS.
- Monitors staffing table and prepare relevant statistical data/charts.
Budget & Finance
- Assists in the preparation and review of financial and human resource proposals/requirements. Consolidates budget/work programme with respect to Headquarters’ budget, trust funds, grants and procurement.
- Monitors expenditures and compares with approved budget; prepares adjustments as necessary.
- Assists managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Assists in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures
- Prepares or customizes financial reports from system generated reports.
- Co-ordinates with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
- Drafts routine correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant administrative, financial audit, personnel matters.
- Coordinates extensively with service units and liaises frequently with internal team members both at Headquarters and in the field.
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required
- Knowledge of general office and administrative support including administrative policies, processes and procedures.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements;
- demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others;
- places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Completion of secondary education or equivalent is required. Supplementary technical training in administrative services, finance, accounting, audit, human resources or related area is highly desirable.
Work Experience for Admin Assistant Job
- Seven years of progressively responsible work experience in administration, preferably within the UN system. Experience of working in Umoja and Inspira and thorough knowledge of UN rules and regulations, especially those related to human resources and administration are an asset.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of French is desirable.
- Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage
How to Apply
Click here to apply