Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is seeking a humanitarian and international development project management professional to oversee a new initiative in Liberia as the Liberia Program Manager.
LOCATION: Monrovia, Liberia
DURATION: 1 year initial contract
The Liberia Country Program is a five year program from 2016 to 2021 that aims to create a platform to support the sustainable urban development of greater Monrovia in an inclusive and comprehensive manner, building on the foundation of community engagement, partnerships and institutional capacity building. The Liberia Country Program enables development partners to coordinate efforts, align work streams and collaborate within an institutionalized framework that aligns nation, local and community stakeholder’s needs and priorities around a common purpose and city vision, through the development of a City Development Strategy and a National Urban Policy.
HFHI’s contribution to the Liberia Country Program in Phase 1, Year 1 is the development of a slum upgrading and affordable housing policy framework and the design of housing and upgrading prototypes, to guide the overall planning and development of affordable and adequate housing in greater Monrovia. Facilitating the delivery of affordable housing and slum upgrading is a fundamental part of supporting the sustainable urban development of greater Monrovia. The Program creates a platform for HFHI to collaborate with key stakeholders including Slum Dwellers International, UN-Habitat, WIEGO, National Housing Authority at the national government level, as well as Monrovia City Corporation and Paynesville City Corporation local governments.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Effective Program Management, Monitoring and Evaluation, Coordination and Partnership Building
- Act as key country focal point for the HFHI portion, working in partnership and nurturing relationships with Cities Alliance and relevant partners.
- Support the implementation and management of the program.
- Lead the daily supervision of various activities and oversee implementation of all HFHI activities, including engagements, partnership agreements, deliverables, monitoring and evaluation, and donor reporting.
- Represent HFHI at all relevant meetings in Liberia, including the quarterly Steering Committee to report on project progress.
- Establish in-country project teams and consortia to carry out HFHI components.
- Manage all in-country logistics (hotel, transportation, etc.) for international staff trips related to research and implementation. Must accompany all international staff during country visits.
- Coordinate with the market development lead during implementation of market development component.
- Prepare and update project work plans.
- Manage project budget and ensure funds are disbursed properly, accounting records and supporting documents are properly kept, and financial procedures/regulations are applied.
- Supervise local short-term consultants.
- Prepare project progress reports and organize steering committee meetings
- Conduct interviews with government agencies, firms, and housing-related organizations.
- Facilitate focus group discussions and other research.
- Work with potential and actual donors, identifying opportunities for resource mobilization.
Technical and Specialist Services
- The program manager will also be responsible for working with HFHI Teams to oversee delivery of all project outputs and the implementation and management of all technical and specialist services – such as desktop research, field research and assessments including the:
- Rapid Desktop Assessment: Mapping of relevant secondary data, institutions, policy and legislation frameworks that impact on the delivery of affordable and adequate housing in greater Monrovia.
- Hazards and Vulnerability Assessment: Identifying critical hazards and vulnerabilities impacting on greater Monrovia; identify critical actions that are required; and analyze the impact and consequences of proposed actions in consultation with key stakeholders.
- Housing Value Chain Assessment: Analyzing both the current supply and demand-sides of affordable housing in greater Monrovia. The demand side relates to assessing the housing needs of households, affordability of housing and related products and services, and mechanisms for financing, both formal and informal, home building and improvements. The supply side relates to an assessment of the public and private organizations that are involved in the supply chain side – addressing land tenure, essential services (such as safe water and sanitation options), building materials, construction skills, and transportation.
- Developing Slum Upgrading and Affordable Housing Policy Framework: The policy framework will provide a comprehensive overview of opportunities, hazards and vulnerabilities, challenges and gaps around the delivery of affordable and adequate housing in greater Monrovia and identify immediate and long-term housing and upgrading prototypes that can be tested and piloted in the next phase.
Monitoring and Project Controls
The program manager will be required to provide:
- Regular project stage progress reports with financial and progress narratives.
- A Program Monitoring & Evaluation Plan.
- A Risk Management Plan.
- A Program Communication and Advocacy Plan.
- A Gender Mainstreaming Plan.
- Office Assets List.
- University degree in business administration, finance, economics, international development or related areas.
- At least five (5) years of work experience in project management for international development programs in Liberia, NGOs, and public sector agencies.
- Must have held supervisory roles in one or more areas of program design, program management and impact evaluation.
- Familiarity with the work of HFHI and Cities Alliance or other multilateral, bilateral and civil society development partners in urban development.
- Strong understanding of program development and results-based management, including monitoring and evaluation.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- A strong network of contacts in the public and private sectors and NGO community within Liberia. Housing sector contacts are a plus.
- Experience promoting constructive dialogue between diverse stakeholders and different socio-cultural backgrounds including government, nongovernmental and private sector actors; ability to work collaboratively and operate effectively across thematic areas.
- Strong communication and presentation skills (written and oral). In particular the ability to write clearly, succinctly and engagingly about technical subjects in English.
- Experience handling logistics and field research work activities such as coordination of focus groups, and key informant interviews.
- Excellent computer and Information and communication technology skills
- Facilitation skills being able to articulate the participation of diverse market actors in a meaningful way.
- Preferred: Experience working in the housing sector and international development sector.
- Preferred: PRINCE2 Foundation or a similar project management certification (i.e. PMBOK, PMP, PMI).
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here