Nova Pioneer Education Group is a Pan-African independent school network offering preschool through secondary education for students from ages 3 through 19. We prepare the next generation of leaders and innovators through world-class teaching methods with an emphasis on 21st century skills. We established Nova Pioneer because we believe education should prepare young people to create their future, not just work in it. Nova Pioneer is a launchpad where ambitious young Africans can begin to shape a better future for the continent and the world. We began by asking ourselves the question, “What capabilities will young people need to succeed in and shape the future that they will encounter, and what approaches to education will best develop those capabilities?” All of our founders have extensive backgrounds in education at top institutions across the globe, having studied at universities such as Harvard and Stanford and led education programs for McKinsey and Co., the African Leadership Academy, and top school networks in the US (Excel Academies). Yet at Nova Pioneer we believe that you never stop learning. So we visited and studied leading schools spanning from Singapore to Peru, and the United States to the United Kingdom. We connected with leaders of the cutting-edge education research, and leading thinkers on 21st Century Learning such as Sir Ken Robinson and teachers and atelieristas from Reggio Emilia, the leading global early education model, to name a few. We launched our first school in South Africa in 2014, with the aim of incorporating the best education models in the world, while keeping it as affordable as possible. We’ve since expanded within South Africa, and to Kenya as well – with our first Kenyan school launching in 2015. In all of our schools, we bring in and train top educators to deliver educational excellence in an environment that nurtures our students to uncover their potential and blaze trails in the world beyond our school walls.
- Job TypeFull Time
- Experience7 years
- Location Nairobi
- Job Field Education / Teaching
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for an exceptional individual to lead the Primary school in Nairobi that will open in Tatu City, one of the largest developments in Kenya and a Vision 2030 flagship project, in late 2017. This school will be our third in Nairobi and will enroll more than 1,000 students as it grows over the years.
As the founding Head Teacher of this school, you will play a critical role in shaping the culture and student experience within an institution that will play a critical role in the community for decades. You will also actively collaborate with other academic leaders and Head Teachers across both South Africa and Kenya, including through regular travel, to use the experience in your school to improve the overall Nova-Pioneer education model.
We will invest heavily in your professional growth in this important role. You will receive significant training prior to assuming the position, including by spending time shadowing current school leaders in the network and participating in other aspects of our academic system. Once you are in the position you will receive consistent coaching from our academic leaders who have worked in top schools around the world among other professional development activities (this year our school leaders went on an extensive tour of great, innovative schools in the United States).
As Head Teacher, you will be responsible for ensuring the realization of Nova’s vision in your school. This will include a heavy focus on developing and leading an exceptional school culture. You will also spend a large portion of your time developing your teaching team into world-class educators who deliver great inquiry-based education for your students and who are ready to quickly move into leadership within the Nova network.
Specific key responsibilities for the role include:
- Act as an effective leader and ambassador for the organization
- Articulate a compelling short- and long-term vision for the development of the school’s culture and student program;
- Drive the development of an exceptional teaching team including through coaching teachers through observation and feedback;
- Set and model a consistent tone of highest expectations, joy, and growth mindset among staff and students alike
- Collaborate with fellow School Leaders in the network to continuously develop and improve the Nova education model across schools
- Develop and strengthen partnerships with other schools and organizations to provide enriching academic and extracurricular opportunities for students
- Lead key school rituals as needed to model and ingrain culture
- Quickly identify and respond to classroom/school culture or behavior issues
- Partner with parents and other key community stakeholders to build the Nova Pioneer brand
- Plan and lead school staff meetings
- You have 7+ years of experience in a rigorous, high-expectations school setting including instructional leadership roles (e.g., deputy principal, teacher coach, etc.). Experience as a Head Teacher is highly valued but not a prerequisite.
- You are widely recognized as a highly effective teacher and can model what great, inquiry-based teaching looks like. If you don’t have teaching experience, you are instructionally passionate and have a desire to learn and entrench yourself in the Nova approach to teaching and learning.
- You are excited about your own professional development, always seeking out opportunities to grow, whether by asking others for feedback, forming communities of learning with other school leaders, or seeking out training
- You have a track record of improving other people’s performance through coaching, building uncommonly strong relationships, developing creative training sessions and sharing feedback
- You have an exceptional ability to think strategically and yet you sweat the small stuff—people see you as unusually detail-oriented and conscientious
- You are excited about our organizational culture—and in particular, you are fired up to challenge yourself by embracing mutual vulnerability and a firehose of feedback
- You have a desire to further develop your leadership skills and apply them to transform the lives of African youth
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Nova Pioneer career website on novaacademies.applytojob.com to apply