Position: Finance Assistant
Reporting to: Field Coordinator
Duty Station: Mandera, Kenya
Dated: 08 August, 2016
Health Poverty Action (HPA) formerly known as Health Unlimited (HU) works with some of the poorest and most marginalized communities in Africa, Asia and Latin America, often in very difficult environments.
We work to enable these communities achieve improvements to their health as one of their fundamental human rights.
Currently, HPA Kenya is implementing a 3-year, EC-funded and UKAid funded projects “Accelerating the reduction in maternal, new born and child mortality” and “improving maternal, newborn and child health in pastoralist communities of Mandera County, Kenya” respectively.
The objective of these project are to provide quality and culturally appropriate Maternal Newborn and Child Health (MNCH) services and information for pastoralists living in hard to reach areas of Mandera County in Kenya.
The projects are run in partnership with Emergency Pastoralist Assistance Group Kenya (EPAG-K).
HPA is seeking a Finance Assistant to join its existing team. This newly created role will have a close working relationship with the existing Finance, Admin and Program Department.
HPA is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (Minorities / Females / Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities).
Job Description: The Finance Assistant will be working closely with Regional Finance and Admin Officer (RFAO) with various finance functions and to ensure the smooth running of the finance office.
This includes handling of expense reports, processing of Invoices and participants per diems, processing payments, filing of documents, travel to the field if need be and assists with other finance tasks as assigned.
- Examines financial documents such as invoices, vouchers, expense reports and other documents such as purchase orders to ensure the completeness, accuracy, reasonability and validity of financial data.
- Prepare payment vouchers for travel advances, vendors and consultant’s invoices.
- Assists with disbursement of funds from the project bank account(s) accordance.
- Follow up with the Administrative Assistant to ensure that all cheques are issued to the suppliers, consultants within 1 week upon signing.
- Ensures that accounting documents are filed on a timely basis, proper accounting records are maintained and compatible with standard accounting practice, HPA and donor guidelines.
- Assists in monitoring and reconciling supplier statements on regular basis and ensures timely settlement of bills.
- Maintain petty cash, ensure disbursement through petty cash is properly approved and petty cash funds are safely stored.
- Regularly post accounting transactions into the accounting software (QuickBooks) ensuring that expenses are charged to the correct budget lines.
- Assists in monitoring and reconciling travel expenses and project expenses to individual advances on a regular basis.
- Follow up with staff to ensure that unspent advances are deposited to specific project Bank account and deposit slip filled in the correct expense report.
- Assist in preparation of ad hoc financial reports as needed.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
- Degree in Accounting or Finance or CPA Section IV or their equivalent with a minimum of 3 years of similar work experience.
- Knowledge of donor funded regulations would be an added advantage.
Preferred Skills / Experience
- An understanding of maintenance of ledger entries, books keeping skills and bank reconciliation.
- Computers skills including use of spreadsheets and/or accounting packages – Preferably QuickBooks.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, GAAP.
- Knowledge of internal controls.
- Proper knowledge of Kenya tax systems
- Ability to work independently and ask for clarification where needed
- Ability to communicate and to work as part of a team
- Comfortable in a working environment in which job responsibilities evolve as team needs change
- Complete understanding of Kenyan tax and payroll system
- Understanding of filing year-end and donor reports
- Experience with QuickBooks accounting package
How to Apply
- Interested candidates should submit a current CV and a statement explaining how they meet the selection criteria for the position to [email protected] quoting the job title “Finance Assistant – Mandera”.
- Specific enquiries about this role and the application process can be sent to the same e- mail address.
- Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis with a final dead line of 15th August 2016 and only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.