Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) is a state corporation whose mandate is to source funds and provide loans, scholarships and bursaries to Kenyans studying in recognised institutions of higher learning.
A vacancy has arisen for the position of Head of Internal Audit, Risk Management and Compliance.
HELB is looking for highly competent, passionate, dedicated and self-driven individual of high integrity who is able to demonstrate strong leadership skills to fill the position.
The Position: The holder will be accountable to the Audit, Risk Management and Compliance Committee (ARMCC) of the Higher Education Loans Board and administratively to the Chief Executive Officer and Board Secretary.
The holder will lead a team of experienced professional internal auditors in risk based planning, executing, reporting and follow up of routine and adhoc / investigative audits.
He or she will ensure that the internal audit and risk function provides an independent assessment of the adequacy of the HELB’s internal systems and controls, including the systems for appropriate identification and evaluation of risk to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, policies, legislation, procedures and standards in management including utilization of the Board’s financial and physical resources.
NB: The Board Internal Audit environment is highly automated with audit management and data analytics tools.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Initiate, formulate and implement Internal Audit policies;
- Identify and critically evaluate elements of governance and risk management in the Board;
- Design, implement and continually improve appropriate risk management framework to Identify, evaluate, mitigate and report key risks the Board is exposed to;
- Plan and execute internal audits in accordance with International Professional Practices Framework
- Develop new continuous improvement initiatives, evaluate the adequacy of internal control systems, report findings and recommend improvements;
- Review management systems and programs and recommend improvements;
- Liaise with the Board’s external auditors to update and enhance the Board’s compliance to financial management principles, policies, legislations, regulations and guideline;
- Prepare audit reports for presentation to the management and to the Audit, Risk Management and Compliance committee of the Board and ensure implementation of arising recommendations;
- Ensure the Board’s compliance with statues, regulations and government guidelines;
- Spearhead anticorruption initiatives within HELB;
- Carry out investigative audits; and
- Secretary to the Audit, Risk Management and Compliance Committee of the Board
- Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, auditing or accounting option, finance, or any other relevant field of study;
- Masters degree in Commerce, Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or any other relevant field of study will be an added advantage;
- CPA (K)/ACCA;
- Certified Internal Auditors (CIA) certification or Certified Information System Auditor (CISA);
- Member of the Institute of Internal Auditors;
- Member of ICPAK in good standing
- A minimum of eight (8) years’ work experience in Auditing at senior management level in a busy organization.
- Proficiency in TeamMate and IDEA.
- Knowledge of computerized accounting and auditing record keeping systems;
- Understanding of QMS as per ISO 900:2015
- Highly analytical individual with ability to gather, analyze and evaluate facts and to prepare and present concise oral and written reports;
- An ability to establish and manage viable auditing system;
- Knowledge of principles of good corporate governance
- Ability to establish and retain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders including staff and communicate effectively;
- Personal integrity with good work ethics;
- Demonstrate excellent managerial and leadership skills demonstrated competences in Governance, Risk Management and Control (GRC).
Compliance with Constitution on Leadership and Integrity
Candidates interested in the above positions are expected to fulfil the requirements of Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya.
Specifically, they must obtain and submit with their application copies of clearance certificates from the following organizations:-
- Kenya Revenue Authority;
- Higher Education Loans Board;
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission;
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations (Certificate of Good Conduct).
- Credit Reference Bureau
How to Apply
- If you believe, you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the criteria given above, please send your application, detailed CV, copy of current pay slip, relevant copies of testimonials and certificates, your date time contact, and contacts of three referees, to reach the office of Chief Executive Officer on the contact below and not later than 1st April, 2016.
- CEO/Board Secretary Higher Education Loans Board P.O. Box 69489-00400
- Email Address: [email protected]
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
- HELB is an equal opportunity employer.
- Persons with Disability are encouraged to apply.