Organization: Heshima Kenya
Closing date: 16 Sep 2016
Job Title: Adult Education Teacher
Term: Part Time
Location: Ruiru, Githurai 45, Eastleigh & Kivuli
Heshima Kenya is a non-governmental organization based in Nairobi, Kenya dedicated to identifying, protecting and empowering unaccompanied refugee minors, especially adolescent girls, through our specialized shelter, education and advocacy programs. Heshima Kenya’s Outreach program has been working to strengthen local networks by promoting awareness and education about gender-based violence prevention and response mechanisms to refugee women and men. In this project Heshima Kenya proposes to provide grants to refugee women to strengthen/begin their own businesses. The Adult Education Teachers role will be to visit with refugee women grant recipients in the community to help build/strengthen their businesses, help them deal with unique business challenges experienced by refugees, and set them up for long-term economic empowerment and success.
The Adult Education Teachers will work closely with Outreach Coordinator to better advance literacy empowerment of refugee women and the quality of life of the program beneficiaries.
The Organization seeks to recruit the part time teacher in Ruiru, Githurai, Eastleigh and Kivuli.
- Develop schemes of work and lesson plans in line with the education curriculum objectives and keeping up to date with changes and developments in the structure of the curriculum.
- Teach; math, English, Kiswahili, Social Studies, Science and Religious Studies (Christian/Islamic)
- Facilitate learning by establishing a relationship with learners and by organization of learning resources and the classroom learning environment including creating displays to encourage a positive learning environment.
- Develop and foster appropriate skills and social abilities to enable the optimum development of learners, according to their ability and aptitude.
- Assess and record progress and prepare learners for KCPE examination. Link leaner’s knowledge to earlier learning and develop ways to encourage it further, and challenge and inspire learners to help them deepen their knowledge and understanding.
- Maintain discipline in class. If and when a learner fails to attend class without notification, take necessary action and report to the outreach coordinator for immediate follow up
- Complete enrollment and individual assessments for each GEP participant. Maintain standardized and unit testing and evaluation schedule in classroom providing updated scores and evaluations to the GEP Coordinator on monthly basis.
- Assist in compiling and writing weekly and monthly notes on each participant enrolled addressing their progress and evaluations of participant’s participation
- Effectively meet post-primary targets while maintaining the highest of standards expected.
- Communicate immediately to the GEP Coordinator any challenges that affect the quality of teaching in the classroom, or hinder meeting project goals and outcomes in order that solutions are created and implemented in a timely manner.
- Strive to develop individual relationships with each participant and ensure that they have access to one on one communication when needed.
- Maintain strict confidentiality with regard to each participant served in any and all Heshima Kenya’s Programs
- Conduct individual assessment to follow up on the individuals progress
- Applicants must have a minimum of Certificate in P1 education, Dip in Adult education, degree in Adult education will be an added advantage.
- Fluent in English and Swahili.
- Experience on teaching and knowledge on adult education curriculum
- Basic skills in guidance and counseling of refugee related issues in Kenya
- Excellent interpersonal skills; can work independently and with teams
- Must be highly organized, creative, detail oriented and work effectively under pressure with competing priorities
- Must be a Kenyan citizen
How to Apply
Interested candidates meeting the above qualifications should send an application letter indicating current & expected salary and a detailed CV with daytime telephone contact to reach the undersigned on or before Friday 16th September 2016. The Country Director, Heshima Kenya. P.O Box 63192-00619. Nairobi/ Email: [email protected] clearly state the subject of the email as Adult Education Teacher Applicants should be ready to begin immediately Note: HK is any equal opportunity employer. Only shortlisted candidates will be conducted.