Overall responsibility for the professional leadership and management of the department in order to ensure high standards of teaching and learning are delivered, resources are used efficiently and effectively and the subject/s curriculum is managed and developed in accordance with school policy.
Accountable to: The Head via the designated line manager
Responsible for: department staff.
Responsibilities for the Head of English Faculty
A Policy/Strategic direction and development
- Contribute to whole school policy-making and strategic planning as required by the Head.
- Prepare, monitor and update annual departmental plans in consultation with colleagues.
- Take the lead in ensuring that school policies and strategies are embedded in schemes of work and departmental plans.
Leadership & management of others
- Lead and manage the department, recruiting, inducting, developing, deploying, motivating and appraising members of the department to ensure that they have clear expectations of their roles, and that high performance standards are achieved and maintained.
- Empower members of the department to develop their leadership potential to ensure continuous improvement within the department.
- Manage day to day requirements such as examination entry and departmental timetables, delegating as appropriate, to ensure the efficiency of the department.
- Chair departmental meetings to ensure that they are used effectively to review performance and that actions are recorded and implemented.
Teaching and Learning.
- Promote excellence in teaching and learning to ensure all pupils develop their potential and are
- equipped for life beyond school.
- Exemplify in own practice the skills of teaching and learning typified by lead professionals,
- and ensure that good practice is shared throughout the department.
- Ensure that schemes of work are used, reviewed and modified to enable the maintenance and
- development of high standards of teaching and learning.
- Monitor pupils’ work and the classroom practice of those in the department to ensure high
- standards are maintained.
- Keep up to date with developments in subject area and education in general to ensure that best
- practice is adopted within the department.
- Ensure the department’s delivery and development of the curriculum is effective in meeting
- the needs of all pupils.
- Contribute to the broader life of the school by supporting and leading curricular and extracurricular
- events such as school productions and activity days.
Actively promote interest in the subject outside the immediate physical and timetabled confines of the department.
Marketing and external links, including public occasions
- Actively promote the department within the school community to encourage pupils’ interest in the subject area.
- Contribute to the positive promotion and marketing of the school in the local and wider community.
- Lead the department’s contribution to marketing events and external links
Management of resources
- Monitor and control the department’s allocated budget and purchasing arrangements, to
- ensure the efficient and effective use of all resources.
- Identify future resourcing needs and aspirations for the department for consideration in the
- school budget planning process.
- Ensure that all resources are fit for purpose and used in accordance with health and safety guidelines.
Qualifications for the Head of English faculty Job
- Minimum undergraduate degree and professional certifications in the area of specialisation.
- Must have at least 4 years’ experience in a similar role.
How To Apply
Send an application letter detailing your relevant experience and teaching philosophy together with a detailed Curriculum Vitae including names and contacts of three referees to [email protected] no later than 13th February, 2017. These positions offers a competitive remuneration package.