We have a fantastic new opportunity to join the Regional Safety & Security team in the role of Senior Manager, Safety & Security Africa & Indian Ocean. This role will manage security, health & safety, food safety, fire safety, public health and disability compliance within Africa and the Indian Ocean; Assist in investigations and providing advice for the protection of company’s owned and managed assets; analyse statistical data to allocate resources for high risk areas; assist the Director of Safety & Security MEA with analysis and response to governmental regulatory initiatives; represent the company in related industry and regulatory affairs and trade associations when assigned; represent the company to customers in group contracts; and provide support to Operations including statutory specialist training, vendor approval and crisis management.
What will it be like to work for Hilton Worldwide?
With thousands of hotels in over 100 countries and territories, Hilton Worldwide offers countless opportunities to delight. From an open door to a welcoming smile and an exceptional experience, we offer the millions of travellers who stay with us every year a welcome they will never forget. If you appreciate the impact global travel can have on the world you may be just the person we are looking for to work as a Hilton Worldwide Team Member. Because it’s with Hilton Worldwide where we never forget the reason we’re here: to delight our guests, Team Members, and owners alike.
What will I be doing?
Planning Activities 25%
• Evaluates the effectiveness of claims management activities at the hotel level to minimize direct or indirect costs to hotels.
• Assists Design and Construction on new build properties regarding fire safety, food safety, health and safety, disability and security requirements, as needed.
• Plans the African & Indian Ocean Safety & Security Audit program to ensure compliance with relevant statutes
• Establishes and revises procedures, policies and processes to include new or modified regulatory requirements.
Organizing Activities 25%
• Assesses and oversees investigations at corporate and owned and managed properties.
• Assigns safety/security managers and supervises accordingly.
• Provides technical advice and project management services (CCTV, locks, access control, fire safety, asset protection) for system improvements, upgrades and new build projects.
• Coordinates special projects as directed by Director Safety & Security MEA.
• Ensures communication plan from the Director Safety & Security MEA is implemented.
• Assists hotels with counter terrorism response to increased threat levels.
• Coordinates and assists teams as part of the crisis management plan.
Directing Activities 35%
• Manages the hotel audit programme at agreed frequencies with appropriate follow-up reports, benchmarking and recommendations to the Director Safety & Security MEA, hotel GMs and Operations Vice President for assigned hotels.
• Directs the development and administration of Risk Management for Africa & IO.
• Liaises with enforcement authorities on company issues.
• Directs health and safety, fire risk assessments (as applicable) in studies of selected locations and HACCP reviews as required.
• Oversees the implementation and use of the Safety & Security Profile/audit tool for hotels.
• Manages effective partnerships with Legal, Architecture and Construction, Technical Services, Brand Management, Human Resources, Hotel Operations, Risk Management and lead authorities.
Controlling Activities 15%
• Implements safety and security programmes, projects, policies, procedures, and related statutory fire safety, health and safety and food safety training for assigned hotels.
• Ensures legal compliance with safety & security related requirements including fire safety, occupational health and safety, food safety, housing and trading standards.
• Maintains up to date knowledge of new or revised legislation as appropriate and current guidance and to ensure procedural and training documents are updated from the relevant authorities.
• Assesses the need for investigations at corporate owned and managed properties.
• Assesses actual performance against standards to determine whether the department is on target to reach its goals and takes corrective actions as necessary.
• Assists in prosecution efforts resulting from investigations.
• Establishes and enforces policies and procedures that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the Company.
• Works within established departmental budget.
• Reviews and makes appropriate adjustments in activities and expenses throughout the fiscal year to ensure optimal financial results.
What are we looking for?
• Demonstrate knowledge of applicable regulatory standards including relevant safety regulations, fire codes, building and construction codes, food safety and HACCP legislation, security codes, etc.
• Due to the complexities and unique features of the African and IO region, a high level of cultural awareness, local knowledge, practical and theoretical security management skills are required for this post.
• Demonstrate knowledge of risk management and insurance programmes that are impacted by safety and health regulations (employer’s liability, general liability, fleet liability, property, employment practices).
• Excellent presentation and public speaking skills, as well as excellent written communication skills.
• Ability to analyse departmental financial data as required in order to make strategic and tactical decisions.
• Ability to manage change, resolve conflicts and ensure collaborations within teams and/or units; includes maintaining the highest standards of ethical conduct and integrity.
• Absolute discretion and confidentiality regarding sensitive information.
• Ability to take initiative to identify, prioritize and implement all elements required for team to fulfil responsibilities in keeping with core strategic goals.
• Strong problem solving skills, including ability to effectively address any issue in collaboration with others as appropriate; ability to proactively identify and prevent potential problems.
• Ability to advocate and implement professional development for self, including capability to work with peers and other resources to provide development and mentoring opportunities.
• Ability to evaluate and identify opportunities from a strategic perspective, including ability to develop, prioritize and implement plans to meet organization’s core strategic goals.
• Ability to assimilate new concepts and practices into position and the department and provide effective training to subordinates for on-the-job training, policies and procedures, departmental training topics and professional development.
• Knowledge of business mathematics, including ability to calculate percentage changes and averages/weighted averages; working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, including ability to understand/manipulate basic spread sheets.
• Ability to work independently including the ability to recognize need for involvement of other teams/peers and capability to effectively facilitate that collaboration.
• Strong supervisory skills including the ability to provide effective performance feedback to subordinates, as required, and ensure peak productivity of the department.
• Ability to make decisions independently, complete in-depth investigations, and act as an expert in Risk Management functions.
• Individual must take part in all necessary training offered and to be proactive in requesting training to meet personal and professional developmental needs.
• Professional manner as expected by local governing bodies.
• Ability to assist team members with their personal development through identification of individual needs for training.
• Time management skills.
Required Qualifications & Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Security Management or related technical field or experience in lieu thereof
• Experience operating within the African market
• Experience & responsibility of multi-sites
• OSHA or NEBOSH General Safety Certificate
• Advanced Food Hygiene (or equivalent food hygiene qualification)
• OSHA or NEBOSH General Safety Certificate
• Group Training Certificate
• Fire Safety Management
• Extensive experience in Safety and Security Management, with the security experience being at a senior level
• Ability to travel as required
Preferred Qualifications & Experience
• Pool Plant Operators Course
• Member of professional bodies e.g. security management, safety, and food hygiene
• Hospitality industry experience preferred with a mix of experience from security management roles
What benefits will I receive?
Your benefits will include a competitive starting salary and holiday entitlement. As an employee you will become a member of the Go Hilton Team Member Travel Program, which provides reduced hotel room rates for you, your family & friends! We look forward to explaining in detail the range of excellent benefits that you would expect from a global hotel organization like Hilton Worldwide.
Job: Risk Management
Title: Senior Manager Safety & Security Africa & Indian Ocean
Requisition ID: MEA01191
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here