Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organisations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
- Grants Writer
This position is an integral part of Hivos East Africa’s Fundraising Team. S/he is responsible for fund development activities for the organization. These activities include grant writing, supporting programme development; and supporting reporting to donors.
Specifically, s/he is responsible for writing proposals in conjunction with programme development officers and Programme Managers.
Responsibilities for the Grants Writer Job
- Conducting the full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to bilateral donors, foundation and corporate sources based on programme development plans and proposals from Programme Development Officers.
- Perform prospect research with Programme Development Officers on foundations and corporations to evaluate prospects for corporate and foundation grants.
- Work with Programme Managers to gather information necessary to report to corporate/foundation funders on current grant programmes.
- Support grant reporting as required by foundation/corporate donors.
- Provide stewardship to current donors, including work with Communications Officer & Monitoring Officer to provide regular written updates to donors.
- Understanding of organizational structure, functions and needs.
- Understanding of institutional history and programmes.
- Track statistics relevant to development and provide department with written materials necessary for donor stewardship.
- Assist with other fundraising projects as requested.
Knowledge and Experience
- Knowledge of the grant application process for major multilateral and bilateral donors (mandatory) including EU, Global Fund and bilateral donors.
- Strong written communication skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals (mandatory).
- Strong editing skills & attention to detail.
- Knowledge of fundraising techniques and strategies (mandatory).
- Knowledge and familiarity with research techniques for fundraising prospect research (mandatory).
- Knowledge of fundraising information sources (e.g. grants database).
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to incorporate accurate and pertinent information in the proposal or application.
- Strong contributor in team environments. Must be able to work and communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization.
Qualifications for the Grants Writer Job
- Minimum of three years experience with grant writing (mandatory).
- Previous experience with non-profit fundraising.
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments.
- Able to work well in a team environment, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
- Able to monitor and meet income goals.
What we offer
Hivos offers a competitive package based on the candidate’s qualifications
- Design Monitoring and Learning Officer
You are curious, open to learning, and seek to stretch your Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) skills. You are happiest coming up with new systems and improvements and work well with minimal supervision. You are able to see the big picture without losing touch of the details.
If this describes you, Hivos is looking for a Design Monitoring and Learning Officer to work with us based in the Hivos East Africa, Nairobi office. You will support M&E activities for the Voice and Kenya Media Programmes (at 40%) and provide overall organisational M&E support (at 60%).
Responsibilities for the Monitoring & Evaluation Job
This role will support two domains: The Voice, Kenya Media Programmes and Hivos East Africa (institutional M&E support) as highlighted below:
Voice and Kenya Media Programme
- The Design, Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Officer (DMEL) provides guidance and orientation to these two new programmes. The position reports to the respective Programme Managers.
- Result Areas:
- Establish an operational M&E system for these new programmes.
- Implementation of M&E system for the Voice and Kenya Media Programmes.
- Oversee internal & external communication on M&E progress and results for the Voice and Kenya Media Programmes.
- Contribute to the quarterly and annual report for the Voice and Kenya Media Programmes.
- The DMEL Officer shall lead the design & implementation of an operational monitoring and evaluation system for Hivos.
- S/he provides Hivos with tools to effectively monitor progress and achievement, and to provide mid-term and end of project evaluations with sufficient information to assess Hivos’ successes as laid out in Strategic and Annual Plans. The position reports to Director, Hub EA and designated MEL at Global Office.
- Work with Global Team to establish an operational M&E system for Hivos: The DMEL will review M&E needs and establish practical procedures and measures to operationalise M&E needs and necessary practical procedures and measures in order to operationalise M&E (data collection and processing).
The DMEL is expected to design a practical M&E system with regard to the following key aspects:
- What needs to be measured?
- What is the most appropriate source of information that needs to be collected?
- How to collect the information and how often?
- How to store and analyse data?
One of the project’s activities is the establishment of Global M&E framework. The current assignment should incorporate this activity into Hub EA’s M&E system and is meant to design and operationalise it.
The M&E system should include Open and Green Programmes as laid out in the annual plan. The DMEL is not expected to operationalise and implement Open and Green M&E systems. For this, the DMEL is expected to:-
- Study the relevant project documents, review and revise the results matrix, and revise the indicators if necessary.
- Review the M&E needs and plans of the project, and extract relevant indicators to monitor the project outputs listed above. The set of indicators to use needs to be simple and straightforward. The assessment should involve key project staff.
- Establish data collection and reporting forms for capturing quantitative and qualitative information.
Based on the relevant indicators, help design relevant baseline surveys to avoid collecting redundant information.
- Identify sources of verification that Hivos can use. As much as possible, DMEL shall use existing data sources embedded in existing programmes.
- Design simple means of registering information.
- Design simple ways and means to store such information, and the pathways for dissemination of that information.
- Produce a manual that includes the above, and guides project coordination in processing and evaluating the information.
Implementation of M&E system for Hivos
- Oversee the monitoring and evaluation data collection activities.
- Oversee data processing including data transfer entry, verification and cleaning.
- Ensure forms are filed according to compliance protocols.
- Conduct data assurance checks.
- Oversee M&E database set up and management.
- Lead preparation of evaluation and annual reports for Hub EA (End Term Review & annual Report).
- Provide other management and support to M&E team as needed.
- Oversee internal communication on M&E progress and results
- Ensure effective communication between M&E team, Communications Officer, Project Staff and other Hivos organizational units
- Prepare communications for stakeholders based on M&E data
Training and Guidance
- Mentor and build capacity of Programme Officers and others working on M&E
- Train data collection and other M&E staff as needed
- Manage M&E staff and consultants as directed by Director
Qualifications for the Monitoring & Evaluation Job
- Master’s Degree in Administration, Information Management, Project Management, or other relevant academic background (essential).
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience (essential), background in a similar role (desirable).
- Well organised and able to keep deadlines. The job requires excellent time management skills and ability to juggle competing priorities.
- Good group leadership qualities and able to work in a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Strong analytical, conceptual skills and knowledge.
- Excellent communication (verbal and writing skills in English) and interpersonal skills.
- Capacity to produce high-quality briefs and reports.
- Good level of proficiency in Windows Excel and quantitative analysis.
- Experience in program design and M&E plan development.
- Ability to design M&E tools, surveys, surveillance systems and evaluations.
- Demonstrated ability to train and build capacity of others.
- Strong interpersonal skills and managerial capacity.
- Experience in a non-governmental organization or donor setting (desirable).
What we offer
Hivos offers a competitive package based on the candidate’s qualifications.
How to Apply
Kindly send your CV and cover letter explaining why you are the suitable candidate for this position to [email protected] . Your letter should state your current and expected salary. Deadline is 28th February, 2017