Hivos East Africa seeks qualified Ugandan candidates for the position of:
Vacancy Name: Finance and Administration Manager
Number of hours: 40
Region: East Africa
Office: Kampala, UgandaHivos is an international development organization inspired by humanist values. Hivos seeks to contribute to a free, fair and sustainable world, where women and men, boys and girls have equal access to resources and opportunities for development.
Hivos works through two main domains; the Open Society which works towards building open and democratic societies and a Green society that works towards a sustainable society in which people can flourish without compromising the planetary boundaries and the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
Hivos develops context sensitive pro-active approaches; questioning dominant practices, offering critical analysis and evidence, signaling promising tends and bringing players together to co-create solutions. Social innovation is Hivos’ co-business.Hivos is rolling out a new programme in Uganda dubbed: “Connecting voices of citizens to protect and promote civic spaces and freedom of expression in Uganda”.
The programme seeks to strengthen the capacities of citizens, change agents and civil society organizations to promote and protect civic spaces and accountable governance.
Through the various strategies that the programme will employ, it will inspire change and open up dialogue between local Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) change agents and political leaders that will facilitate an enabling environment for freedom of expression, transparency and accountability.
This programme will support the efforts of the different groups of people (journalists, bloggers, artistes, women, human rights defenders and change agents) to promote greater regard for the rule of law as well as access to justice and social services by the citizens.The Finance and Administration Manager will support our ‘social accountability’ programme in Uganda and reports directly to the Regional Finance Manager based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The successful candidate will also closely work with the Programme Managers, Programme Officers and Monitoring and Learning officers.
Roles and ResponsibilitiesGrant management and financial reporting:
- Administer donor and grantee contracts in terms of ‘rights and obligations’ Hivos should comply with.
- Operate remittance schedules and reporting cycles and prepare internal and external financial and programme statements.
- Assist the Programme Leaders with their internal and external reporting obligations.
- Manage donor and implementing contracts; and manages the related cash flow and reporting schedules.
- Administer and review the income statements of the programmes.
- Reviews and administers revenue and expenditure and income statements for partners and partner contracts assigned to Hivos, according to donor and Hivos regulations and procedures.
- Assess budgets and financial statements of partners.
- Improve accounting and reporting methods and capabilities of Hivos and partners.
- Conduct monitoring and support visits to Hivos partners in the SA programme.
- Ensure efficient financial monitoring and follow up of the programme
- Manage the annual internal and external audit cycles of Hivos Uganda.
Securing and maintaining project funding from institutional funders:
- Work with the Programme Development Managers, Programme Officers and Programme Managers to identify and build relationships with donor agencies, and other organizations of strategic interest to Hivos.
- Work with PDMs and Communication & Programme Teams to share information about programme portfolio, pipeline projections, specific programmes and projects.
- Design and prepare budgets and financial aspects of Programme proposals.
- Prepare financial aspects of Hivos proposals according to requirements & procedures and provides financial and administrative assistance to Programme teams.
- Undertake financial reporting of the programme to the donor.
Policy and Strategy Development:
- Contribute to strategic planning for Hivos including annual planning, financial budgeting cycle and end term review (ETR).
- First degree in Business Administration or equivalent qualification;
- A holder of CPA Final or ACCA (final);
- 7 or more years of progressive experience in finance and administrative positions in social and/or commercial enterprises;
- Proven track record in developing and managing administrative and operational support systems including internal controls and external financial audits;
- Knowledge of ICT general computer skills.
- Personal integrity.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Team worker.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience working in Transparency and Accountability, Freedom of Expression and Women’s Rights sectors in Uganda or East Africa.
What we offer:We offer a stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff.
The position will be based in Hivos local office in Kampala Uganda.
Employment is initially offered for the period of one year with possibility of renewal based on performance and funding availability
How to Apply
If you meet the requirements for the position, please send a cover letter and CV to [email protected] with the Subject as: Finance and Administration Manager Uganda on or before 29th February 2016