Hivos East Africa seeks qualified Ugandan candidates for the position of:
Vacancy Name: Programme Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Number of hours: 40
Region: East Africa
Office: Kampala, UgandaHivos is an international development organization inspired by humanist values. Hivos seeks to contribute to a free, fair and sustainable world, where women and men, boys and girls have equal access to resources and opportunities for development.
Hivos works through two main domains; the Open Society which works towards building open and democratic societies and a Green society that works towards a sustainable society in which people can flourish without compromising the planetary boundaries and the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
Hivos develops context sensitive pro-active approaches; questioning dominant practices, offering critical analysis and evidence, signaling promising tends and bringing players together to co-create solutions. Social innovation is Hivos’ co-business.Hivos is rolling out a new programme in Uganda dubbed: “Connecting voices of citizens to protect and promote civic spaces and freedom of expression in Uganda”.
The programme seeks to strengthen the capacities of citizens, change agents and civil society organizations to promote and protect civic spaces and accountable governance.
Through the various strategies that the programme will employ, it will inspire change and open up dialogue between local Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) change agents and political leaders that will facilitate an enabling environment for freedom of expression, transparency and accountability.
This programme will support the efforts of the different groups of people (journalists, bloggers, artistes, women, human rights defenders and change agents) to promote greater regard for the rule of law as well as access to justice and social services by the citizens.The Programme Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will support our ‘Social Accountability’ Programme in Uganda and reports directly to the Programme Manager of Transparency and Accountability in Kenya.
The successful candidate will also closely work with the Programme Managers, Programme Officer and the Monitoring and Evalution Officer in Nairobi.Under the overall guidance of the Programme Manager, the M&E Officer will be responsible for the monitoring and ensuring high quality and timely inputs, and for ensuring that the project maintains its strategic vision and that its activities result in the achievement of its intended outputs in a cost effective and timely manner.
The M&E officer will be responsible for designing and implementing the M&E activities of the Project; assisting the Project Manager in preparing Quarterly / Annual reports on project progress and will monitor the project activities on a regular basis, will be responsible for the collection & analysis of different data in relation to the project activities.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer works in close collaboration with the project team and partners (Government officials, private sector, civil society, organizations, the media artistes).
- Develop and strengthen monitoring and evaluation procedures;
- Monitor all project activities, and progress towards achieving the project outcome;
- Recommend further improvement of the results framework;
- Develop monitoring and impact indicator for the project success;
- Monitor and evaluate overall progress on achievement of results;
- Monitor the sustainability of the project’s results;
- Provide feedback to the Project Manager on project strategies and activities;
- Suggest strategies to the Project Management for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the project by identifying bottlenecks in completing project activities and developing plans to minimize or eliminate such bottlenecks;
- Report monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annual progress on all project activities to the programme implementation team.
- In close collaboration with the PO, Develop monitoring and evaluation plans with partners to allow harvesting of results and learning from the same.
- Conduct capacity assessment on existing monitoring and evaluation system of partners Develop indicators and a monitoring strategy for the project;
- Assist Project Manager in the preparation of reports on the findings and lessons learned from project innovations;
- Develop mechanisms to prevent corruption within the programme and among the implementing partners.
- Strong analytical, conceptual skills and experience in monitoring and evaluation of programmes and/or projects (Key requirement);
- Masters Degree in social sciences/development studies;
- Minimum of 5 years working experience in monitoring development programmes;
- Well organized and able to keep deadlines;
- Good leadership qualities and able to work in the multi-stakeholder environment;
- Excellent communication (verbal and writing skills in English) and networking skills;
- Keen understanding of country political and socio-economic dynamics;
- Strong training & facilitation skills.
What we offer:We offer a stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff.
This position will be based in Hivos local office in Kampala Uganda.
Employment is initially offered for the period of one year with possibility of renewal based on performance and funding availability.
How to Apply
If you meet the requirements for the position, please send a cover letter and CV to [email protected] with the Subject as: Programme Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, Uganda on or before 29th of February 2016.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.