Hivos East Africa is seeking qualified candidates for the position of:
Vacancy Name: Programme Officer – Open Source Seed Systems (OSSS) Programme
Number of hours: 40
Region: East Africa
Office: Nairobi, KenyaHivos is an international development organization that seeks new solutions to persistent and emerging global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources.
Our primary focus is achieving structural change and impacting lives.
We do this through cooperating with innovative businesses, citizens, governments, and development organizations across four continents.
With long standing experience in development programs, the East Africa Regional Office is looking to fill the position of a Programme Officer for the Open Source Seed Systems programme, situated within the Green Foods and Productive Landscapes domain.
The programme’s key focus is on: building a viable business case for OSSS; creating alliances through joint research, learning and disseminating evidence-based and innovative policies and practices; accelerating and scaling through advocacy and lobbying.
Overview of the position: The Programme Officer OSSS works under the supervision of the Programme Manager, Green Foods and Productive Landscapes and hierarchically reports to the Regional Director.
She/He will provide strategic guidance and technical support for the OSSS program and work closely with partners and key actors in the programme.
The successful applicant will also provide additional support to programmes within the green food and productive landscapes domain.
The candidate will work closely with program staff in the Hivos regional office and in the Head Office.
The position is based in Nairobi with regular travel in the region and may involve some international travel.
Specific roles and responsibilities
- Provide technical direction and strategic advice to ensure that the OSSS programme activities are designed and implemented in line with the agreed work plan and programme documents.
- Identify and track emerging funding opportunities under open seed systems through the institutional funding strategy and in alignment with the strategic plan of Hivos.
- Manage contracts, service providers, partners, and donor expectations through prudent planning and providing technical, logistical, and administrative guidance as and when needed.
- Develop and establish OSSS knowledge sharing platforms at national and regional levels, provide technical guidance on content and the organization of the platforms, and sell Hivos’ open seed agenda in the platforms.
- Be the lead person in engaging actors constructively around policy and advocacy, developing policy briefs, and addressing policy issues around OSSS through constant engagement with relevant actors, clear plans, and concrete actions.
- Contribute to relevant policy debates and discussions to ensure the open source seed programme has increasing policy influence and organize policy groups to support the programme’s policy agenda.
- Lead in the development of training curriculum train partners and relevant stakeholders on policy, advocacy, and governance issues around open seed systems.
- Training of OSSS Trainers on entrepreneurship, market linkages, gender mainstreaming and climate change as and when required.
- Collect and analyse data to inform programme progress and decision making as well as to report successes and lessons to a wider audience through various print and electronic media.
- Support and provide technical guidance in the generation of reports, briefs, factsheets, articles, and position papers on open seeds and crosscutting themes such as climate change and gender in the context of the program.
- Create and support active linkages with Hivos’ programmes related to food and policy advocacy in East Africa and globally to learn and exchange best practices.
- Develop and manage the programme’s monitoring and evaluation system through active consultation with Hivos’ M&E Specialist.
- Work with the finance and green food staff to ensure financial information, monitoring and evaluation systems for the program are up to date, variances are identified and recommendations for action made.
- Contribute to other programme support roles within Hivos’ green foods and productive landscapes team as and when required to by the Program Manager or the Regional Director.
- MSc. in Agriculture, Environment, Community Development or Development Economics, or a related discipline
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in open seed systems or seed programmes in East Africa.
- Good research and analytical skills.
- Experience in producing high quality project reports, training manuals and publications.
- Ability to work effectively in multi-regional teams and partners with members drawn from a diverse range of nationalities, cultures and scientific disciplines.
- Ability to work under pressure, often to tight deadlines without compromising the quality of deliverables.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and able to work with little or no supervision.
- Strong English language skills, both written and spoken.
- Job requires frequent travel , often to rural areas in East Africa.
- High level of personal integrity and accountability.
- Demonstrated Kenyan and East African donor networks
How to Apply
If you meet the requirements of the position, please send a cover letter (your cover letter should state your current and expected salary) and CV to [email protected] on or before 4th March 2016.
Only shortlisted candidates will be shortlisted.
This position will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and will be closed when a suitable candidate has been identified.