The Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR) is an independent National Human Rights Institution created by Article 59 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 and established by the Government of Kenya through an Act of Parliament (the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights Act, 2011) and under the United Nations Paris Principles.
Human Resource & Administration Officer I
Reports to: The HR and Administration Manager
Location:Nairobi with occasional travel
Duration:Permanent and Pensionable
Gross Salary: Kshs. 141,950
Human Resource & Admin Job purpose
- This position is responsible for the provision of support to the Human Resources and Administrative functions such recruitment, training administration, compilation of human resource administration reports and payroll input operational services of the Human Resource department of the Commission
- Lead the Recruitment drive for non – managerial officer positions and recommend to Senior HR and Administration Officer, shortlist candidates for management positions in the Commission.
- Oversee the monthly payroll administration for KNCHR staff by input of the statutory deductions such as PAYE, NSSF, check-off loans, Sacco deductions, insurance deductions are effected.
- Collate the approved training courses for all Commission staff, update in the training calendar for the year and inform the respective staff on the logistics and administration of upcoming courses
- Monitor the impact of training programs from the feedback received and prepare periodic reports to senior management useful for organizational development
- Manage and track invoices and budgets for all training development activities to ensure training service providers are paid on time
- Allocate work to and collaborate with the Front office administration staff to direct human resource and administration related queries from external visitors
- Prepare quarterly human resource analytical and budget reports for review by Human Resource and Administration Manager
- Maintenance of leave records by verification of leave application, reconciliation of leave balance and generate leave statements to all staff in the commission
- Management of the staff medical benefit
- Facilitation of end of probation interviews and prepare staff confirmation letters after approved recommendation to hire has been received, to ensure smooth on boarding of the employee into the Commission
- Manage the staff provident fund scheme by updating the Fund Administrator service provider of member monthly contribution and alert for terminal benefit payment to a separated member.
- This position is responsible for the facilitation of implementation of programmes and interventions that reform private and public agencies as per the mandate of the commission to promote awareness and protection of human rights in Kenya
- Assist in the implementation of programmatic activities as per the strategic goal of the department to ensure reforms in both private and public agencies
- Undertake research and advocacy to deepen reforms within public and private institutions to ensure the protection of human rights in Kenya as per the mandate of the commission
- Collecting and documenting data of institutional reforms for human rights analysis
- Facilitate meetings and workshops aimed at institutional reforms to ensure protection of human rights as per the mandate of the commission
- Draft statutory and departmental reports on reforms that the commission has implemented for review by upper management
- Represent the commission at working level meetings with civil society and other partners to facilitate reforms in private and public agencies as per the mandate of the commission.
- Allocate work and supervise student Interns assigned to the Human Resource and Administration department.
Skills, Experience and Minimum Qualifications for Human Resource & Admin Job
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Science or related field or its equivalent from a recognized institution
- Postgraduate Diploma in Human Resources Management or its equivalent
- 3 years of service or similar experience in a comparable position from a reputable organization
- Computer literacy
- Knowledge of relevant legislation e.g. labour laws
- Knowledge of professional standards
All applicants should submit copies of clearance certificates from the following institutions:-
- Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
- Criminal Investigations Department (CID)
- Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
- Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
Please note that it is a criminal offence to provide false information and documents in the application. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
KNCHR is an equal opportunity employer which offers a competitive remuneration commensurate to qualifications and experience
Qualified female candidates and Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
If you possess the above qualities, please submit your applications manually through the post office or by hand delivery, clearly indicating the position, and the Ref No. on both the cover letter and envelope, together with a detailed C.V, names and telephone contacts of three referees one of whom should be your immediate supervisor, to reach us by Friday 9th September, 2016 to: The Commission Secretary, Kenya National Commission on Human Rights Lenana Road, CVS Plaza, 1st Floor P. O. Box 74359-00200 NAIROBI