(Ref. No. IRS/129/072015)
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER
icipe — African Insect Science for Food and Health is a world-class research centre with a mission to alleviate poverty by ensuring food security, improving health, protecting the environment and building the capacity of researchers and communities across the developing world through the application of insect sciences. Employing more than 500 national and international staff, icipe is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with outposts in Ethiopia and on the shores of Lake Victoria in western Kenya. icipe has a proud reputation and history of delivering world-quality science that has made crucial contributions to African food and health policy, delivered development outcomes to rural communities and has been at the forefront of building Africa’s biological research capacity. The Centre’s research activities span the African continent with partnerships linking research organisations, not only across Africa, but also the globe. In addition, more than 100 graduate students and a number of postdoctoral fellows contribute to icipe’s research portfolio annually. For more information visit: www.icipe.org
Please also download icipe’s Vision and Strategy 2013–2020 http://www.icipe.org/images/stories/pdf/about_us/icipe_Vision_and_Strategy_2013-2020.pdf
icipe is seeking to appoint an outstanding, dynamic and self-motivated individual to lead the Human Resources Unit. The selected candidate will be based at icipe’s Nairobi campus. This is a two-year contract, renewable after successfully completing a six-month probation period of the first contract. A competitive and generous compensation package, including children education allowance up to university first degree, health and life insurance, generous pension, housing and transport allowances, duty free privileges, home leave and relocation allowances, and much more, will be offered to the right candidate. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
The HR Manager leads in provision of HR services to all the Centre’s Staff, Hosted Staff, Visiting Scientists, Students and Consultants. With a focus on HR strategy, the HR manager implements employee attraction, retention, and development and performance management policies and processes. S/he develops and implements programmes and supporting systems for employee relations, staff wellbeing, workforce planning and workload management, and ensures equity and diversity.
- Recruiting research and support staff with the capabilities and competences required for the present and future. As well, work with research leaders to anticipate future needs and lead the talent pooling, attraction and selection of staff in research roles, and ensure alignment and improvement of attraction and selection processes.
- Implement organisation design plans, including preparation and review of job classifications, job descriptions and associated systems.
- Implement talent management and succession planning initiatives.
- Develop and implement induction and exit programmes and processes.
- Develop and implement selection tools and methods.
- Implement skills capacity development programmes, aligned with the plans and strategic goals.
- Lead the learning and development programme, developing the capabilities and competences of research leaders, as well as research and research support staff, on staff development (encompassing management/supervisory skills and soft skills), and the sourcing and evaluation of appropriate providers.
- Develop and implement performance management policies, systems and tools.
- Implement recognition and rewards policies.
- Administer and undertake reviews of salaries, and staff related insurance and other staff benefits, in accordance with policies and guidelines; and ensure value for money.
- Implement initiatives designed to increase employee engagement.
- Implement employee relations, consultation and engagement policies and processes.
- Develop and implement service level for HR and Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) services. In addition, ensure HR is right sized, staffed, and with capable and motivated staff to deliver agreed services.
- Develop and implement HR Information Systems to support service delivery and decision making, specifically HR within ERP, Staff Attraction, Staff Recruitment, Learning & Development Systems, Staff Performance Management System, and Management of Consultants contracting and other supporting systems.
- Implement staff policies, practices and guidelines.
- Implement an occupational health and safety (OHS) policy, processes and systems.
- Ensure equitable and consistent interpretation and implementation of staff policies, and ensure compliance with relevant statutory requirements.
- Identify precedents and document approved exceptions.
- Respond to audits—internal and external.
- Manage staff related litigation.
- Provide compensation benefits to staff, as provided in their terms of employment.
- Be an authorised Signatory of the Centre, and in this regard, authorise transactions as per delegated authority.
- Attend joint meetings of collaborating institutions, and participate in tender processes.
- Represent the Centre at external meetings on labour, employment and related matters.
- Handle various matters of the Centre, by participating in joint arrangements with other research Centres.
- Oversee preparation of the monthly Payroll, and approve monthly bank transfers of staff salaries.
nn An advanced degree in social sciences, human resources or business related course.
nn Over 10 (ten) years’ relevant experience in HR management at a senior level, with a proven record of experience in an international organisation.
nn Knowledge of labour laws and familiarity with the industrial relations practices.
Other desirable attributes
nn Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate and manage at all levels of the Centre, particularly with staff at all locations.
nn A high level of professional written and verbal communication.
This position reports to the Director of Finance & Administration (DFA).
The selected candidate should be available to start as soon as possible.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be accepted up to 21st August 2015, or until the position is filled, whichever is earlier. Interested applicants should submit: (a) a confidential cover letter, (b) detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees (including e-mail addresses, fax numbers), and (c) a statement of suitability.
Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org
icipe is an Equal Opportunity Employer