Research Assistant Jobs At Icipe In Kenya
icipe — African Insect Science for Food and Health is a world-class research centre with a mission to alleviate poverty by ensuring food security, improving health, protecting the environment and building
the capacity of researchers and communities across the developing world through the application of insect sciences. Employing more than 500 national and international staff, icipe is headquartered in
Nairobi, Kenya with outposts in Ethiopia and on the shores of Lake Victoria in western Kenya.
icipe seeks to recruit an experienced Research Assistant to work with the Trial Coordinator of the project
The position is tenable in Nairobi at the icipe Duduville campus. The appointment will initially be for 2 years, renewable. A competitive and generous compensation package will be offered to the right candidate. Only shortlisted candidates meeting the itemised requirements will be contacted.
(Ref. No. NRS/145/022016)
Research Assistant Job Responsibilities In Kenya
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Support the coordination of participatory on-farm research experiments located at Kangari, Chuka and Thika;
- Manage the vegetable nursery;
- Manage the trials and provide the required trial inputs (e.g. biomass for compost and mulching, farmyard manure, compost, biopesticides);
- Develop trial protocols, and collect and compile data;
- Conduct soil and plant tissue sampling in the POR sites;
- Supervise field assistants;
- Write trial reports, including preliminary analysis of data;
- Support in pest and disease data collection in long-term experiments;
- Report to and coordinate with the project partners;
- Other tasks as assigned by the project partners or the Project Coordinator.
Requirements For Research Assistant Jobs In Kenya
- Diploma or higher diploma (or its equivalent) in agronomy, agricultural or environmental sciences.
- Training and working experience in organic agriculture, including composting and preparing biopesticides would be desirable.
- Willing to travel frequently between the trial sites in Chuka, Thika, Kangari and icipe Duduville Campus in Kasarani, Nairobi.
- Experience in participatory research management.
- Experience in pest and disease scouting and scoring.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in agricultural research, including field experiments, data collection, handling and analysis.
- Must have competent driving skills (manual cars).
Other desirable attributes
- Ability to interact effectively with field staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to take independent initiative in terms of day-to-day task management.
- Self-motivated and highly responsible.
- This position reports to the Project Coordinator.
- The selected candidate should be available to start as soon as possible.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted up to 25th February 2016, or until the position is filled, whichever is earlier. Interested applicants should submit: (a) a confidential cover letter (maximum 2 pages), (b) detailed CV (maximum 4 pages) with names and addresses of 3 referees (including e-mail addresses), and (c) a statement illustrating suitability against the listed qualifications/competencies/abilities and skills. Candidates are required to apply online through: HERE icipe is an equal opportunity employer.