Our client, the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK) is the professional organization for Certified Public Accountants in Kenya established in 1978 by the Accountants Act, CAP 531.
Since then, ICPAK has been dedicated to development and regulation of the accountancy profession in Kenya so as to enhance its contribution and that of its members to national economic growth and development.
In its endeavor on institutional strengthening, ICPAK is seeking for dynamic, self-driven and results oriented individuals to fit in a team meant to make it a world class Professional Accountancy Organization.
ICPAK Grade 4
Job Ref: EHC/79/ 18
Job Profile: The Public Policy and Research Manager shall identify key public policy issues, undertake research to develop position papers on issues regarding the Institute and contribute to Kenya’s legislative framework to incorporate good governance and accountability mechanisms.
He / She shall ensure proactive stakeholder engagement and lobby for ICPAK to be represented in Boards, Board Committees and Senior Finance positions of both public and private sector organizations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supporting the Council in advocating and lobbying for the Institute and its members and their interests.
- Drive and manage the Institute’s Public Interest Role including providing support to the Council in fulfilling its advisory role to the Minister of Finance.
- Providing input into the budget making process to ensure that it is inclusive and results in a process that is transparent and promotes good governance.
- Monitoring and commenting on consultative documents issued by various stakeholders involved in the budget making process.
- Developing consultation papers and undertaking research so as to inform the Institute Council when making decisions regarding Public Finance, taxation etc.
- Preparation of departmental budgets, forecasts and work plans.
- Ensures the achievement of departmental budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Ensure development and implementation of the Departmental Strategic Plan as per guidance from the Divisional head on the corporate objectives and goals.
- Ensure the update of the Strategic Plan dashboard to project instantly the Institute’s performance on Facilities Department targets against Corporate targets
- Ensuring exposure to the Policy and Research team through staff development and training programs, Mentoring and Coaching, staff rotations and grooming junior officers to be able to take up higher responsibilities.
- Supervision of all the staff in the functional line of Public Policy and Research.
- Develop Job Descriptions for all staff working in the department in liaison with the Divisional Head and Senior Manager Human Resource and Administration.
- Monitoring and evaluation of staff performance (Performance Management function) on daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly as appropriate to ensure achievement of set targets within agreed timelines.
Qualifications and Experience
- Academic Qualifications: Relevant Degree and Master degree
- Professional qualifications in public policy field
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and a member of ICPAK in good standing is an added advantage
- Five (5) years working experience in policy analysis and development with at least two (2) years in a management position.
Key Competencies and Personal Attributes
- Knowledge of public policy analysis and its formulation process
- Ability to maintain confidentiality concerning institute’s activities
- An understanding of relevant legislation, policies and procedures
- Must be able to demonstrate good planning, organizing and coordinating skills
- Must be computer savvy
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, verbal and written skills with experience in development of Board papers
- Ability to work effectively under time pressure and constraints
- Drive for results and achievement
- Ability to execute multiple assignments within set deadlines
- Highly motivated, energetic, go getter and a self-starter
- Strong analytical skills
- Good communication and presentation skills and an effective communicator
NOTE: Candidates for both positions will be required to satisfy the requirements of Chapter six (6) of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 and provide the documents during the interviews as follows:
- Certificate of good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations(CID);
- Valid Tax Compliance Certificate from the Kenya revenue Authority (KRA);
- Clearance Certificate from the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB);
- Clearance for the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC);
- Clearance from the Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
How to Apply
If you meet the requirements as stipulated above, please email your application letter accompanied with a detailed CV in PDF format clearly indicating your current position, current and expected remuneration to the following email address: [email protected] on or before close of business on Friday 30th March 2018.