Vacancy: Technical Services Advisor – Public Sector Accounting Standards
Job Ref: ICPAK 007/2015
The Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK) is the professional organization for Certified Public Accountants in Kenya established in 1978 by the then Accountants Act, CAP 531 subsequently repealed to Accountants Act no. 15 of 2008.
It is also a member of the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC), the global umbrella body for the accountancy profession.
Since its establishment, ICPAK has been dedicated to development and regulation of the accountancy profession in Kenya so as to enhance its contribution and that of its members to national economic growth and development.
In its endeavor on institutional strengthening, ICPAK is seeking to recruit dynamic, self-driven and results oriented individual to fit in a team meant to make it a world class Professional Accountancy Organization.
The officer shall be seconded to work under the Public Sector Accounting Standards Board (PSASB) on a contractual basis for one (1) year.
Job Summary: The Officer shall report to the Head, Public Sector Accounting Standards Board Secretariat (PSASB) on secondment from the Professional Services Division of the Institute.
The Officer will be a key member of the Institute and is expected to understand, support, and promote the development and implementation of accounting professional standards.
This position is placed at Managerial Level:
Job Profile / Responsibilities: Essential duties and responsibilities shall include those listed below; other incidental duties may be allocated from time to time:
The position is on contractual terms for a period of one year (twelve months) and requires a person who is ‘hands-on’, highly organized, able to work with minimum supervision, and has excellent communication, teamwork and interpersonal skills.
The duties and responsibilities include among others:
- Capacity building for the National Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies, State Corporations and Semi-Autonomous Government Agencies, County Governments and devolved functions particlualrly on accounting and reporting standards promulgated by the PSASB;
- Developing assessment tool(s) to measure compliance with the set standards by the National and County Governments and their agencies;
- Developing standards implementation templates and guidelines;
- Supporting full implementation of Cash basis IPSAS and lay a ground work for accrual basis IPSAS in public sector;
- Provision of technical assistance to public sector entities in the preparation of financial statements for the year 2014/2015;
- Supporting in the consolidation of financial statements for the Government of Kenya for the year 2014/2015;
- Supporting public sector entities in preparation of in-year financial statements for FY 2015/2016 in line with the tools prescribed by the Board;
- Be available for consultation by Board members and responding to technical queries;
- Keeping Board members and other stakeholders abreast with emerging issues and latest developments related to public sector financial management and accounting;
- Assisting public sector entities in addressing issues that resulted in the qualification of Financial Statements for the Year 2013/2014 and mitigate recurrence of this in the future;
- Coordinating the activities of the Board and the Secretariat;
- Setting standards for internal audit for State Organs and public entities;
- Championing the implementation of the PFM Act and Regulations; and
- Performing any other duties as assigned by the PSASB and the Director General/ Accounting Services and Quality Assurance.
- Develop workplans that will guide in the deliverables of the activities set.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Information Communication Technology (ICT) savvy
- Strong organizational skills
- Project management skills, with ability to work under tight deadlines and manage multiple work streams concurrently
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- The successful candidate shall demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- A member of good standing of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya.
- Specific experience in public sector financial management with focus on, financial reporting.
- Demonstrated competence in use of International Public Sector Accounting Standards and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) but with a bias to the former.
- Demonstrated specific experience in a similar assignment.
- Must be conversant with the Constitution of Kenya 2010 and the PFM Act 2012.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, organize priorities and meet deadlines
- Capable of working in a team and with others at all levels of the organization, as well as with external stakeholders, and across multiple cultures
- Strong sense of responsibility and ability to work with minimal supervision or as part of a team
- Flexible and able to handle changing priorities while remaining calm under pressure
- Proactive, service-oriented attitude
- Able to analyze and synthesize large amounts of information into summaries
- competency in accounting packages
Qualifications and Experience:
- A holder of Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Business Management or its equivalent
- A holder of CPA (K) or any other globally recognised accountancy qualification
- At least 8 years professional experience, five of which should be on matters relating to development, implementation or monitoring of standards.
Terms of Service: A period of one year (12 months)
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their application letter, CV and other scanned relevant documents clearly indicating the position applied for, current and expected salary to the following: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications should be received on or before close of business on Monday 14th September, 2015.