World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF)
Job Opening ID
Number of Positions
Nationally Recruited Staff
Terms of offer
Bioversity is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment. We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified women.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Organize financial and logistical arrangements for meetings and seminars
· Prepare financial reports at the end of meetings.
· Act as focal point for travel coordination
· Source and verify supporting documentation provided with financial reports supplied by the partners (LOAs) where required by a grant.
· Act as local contact on administrative & maintenance issues with ICRAF
· Liaise with ICRAF Protocol office to ensure availability of hosting agreements and compliance with Memorandum of Understanding provisions.
· Assist with annual insurance renewals for official equipment, official and staff vehicles in liaison with ICRAF Operations Unit.
· Follow up to ensure availability of up to-date agreements and all interactions in compliance with agreements.
· Liaise with the operations units of host institutions for various support services required by Bioversity
· Function as focal point for human resources both in Bioversity and ICRAF.
· Provide support to staff and managers on issues related to HR and the HR systems of Bioversity and ICRAF.
· Prepare procurement requests (RSS) through Bioversity or ICRAF, seek approvals and proceed with purchases and file documents as appropriate.
· Liaise with appropriate ministries or governmental authorities.
· Respond to inquiries from Bioversity staff and partner organizations on administrative issues.
· Provide administrative assistance to all staff and visitors in the Nairobi office as required.
· Perform administrative duties including answering incoming calls, courier preparation and reception.
· Coordinate maintenance of office vehicles and general supplies
· Check incoming invoices and supply supporting documents and file as appropriate
· Manage payments through local bank account or liaise with ICRAF for payments managed in Nairobi Office and Treasury in Rome and file documentation as appropriate
· Administer imprest account by providing funds, updating ledger, managing replenishment and preparing necessary reconciliations and filing as appropriate
· Ensure that sufficient funds are available for operations through the imprest fund, petty cash and through ICRAF.
· Administer Petty Cash by providing funds, updating ledger, managing replenishment and preparing necessary reconciliations
· Verify ICRAF financial reports on a monthly basis and liaise with ICRAF finance staff where necessary and prepare in Agresso format with Bioversity account codes.
· Prepare and keep track of accruals and payables (travel advances etc)
· Maintain and monitor Bioversity assets (capital & non capital) including inventory & disposals.
· Assist with annual audit and related procedures as well as internal & external project audits.
· Advise staff on new/modified financial procedures
· Draft annual budgets for office operations (including personnel and capital) in coordination with the Finance Manager
· Monitor expenditure and balances on operational budgets through OCS reports supplied by HQ (OCS). Report any deviation as appropriate and liaise with Finance Manager for any adjustments to be made
· Monitor funds availability with ICRAF
· Prepare forecast for annual working budget with ICRAF (hosting LOA)
· Prepare salary costings for new staff, reclassifications, promotions etc.
· Advise appropriate HQ personnel of proposed changes in staff salaries or overheads and seek approvals before implementation by ICRAF.
Essential Academic and Professional Qualifications:
· Diploma in business Management, Business Administration or related field
· CPA (2) or ACCA
· Upto 4 years relevant experience in an international working environment.
Skills and Competencies:
· Ability to prepare quality progress reports for review
· Ability to support the Unit’s financial goals and employ prudent use of infrastructure and resources
· Proficiency in relevant software packages (Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint); knowledge of accounting or ERP systems.
· Extensive knowledge of standard office procedures.
· Superior interpersonal, communications and teamwork skills; courtesy, tact and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of diverse cultural and national backgrounds
· Highly developed skills in effective time management while adhering to set timelines, personal organization, priority setting, problem solving and accuracy.
· Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken
· Strong client orientation and service approach.
· High degree of judgment and initiative; ability to work with a high degree of independence within assigned areas.
· High adaptability to change
· Ability to identify and mitigate risks in own work area
· Ability to plan and manage own career while seeking ways to improve self
Under the supervision of Associate Scientist – Nutrition, The Administrative and Finance Assistant will provide effective and efficient programme, financial, budgetary, and administrative support to the staff in the Nairobi office.