The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance.
It also endeavors to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles.
The ICRC’s Somalia Delegation in Nairobi implements the institution’s humanitarian activities in Somalia.
Cooperation Field Officer – Mogadishu
The Cooperation field officer contributes to the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Delegation’s Cooperation objectives.
Based in Mogadishu under the supervision of the ICRC head of office, he/she reports directly to the Cooperation coordinator in Nairobi.
With a particular focus on South-Central Somalia, his/her area of responsibility also includes Puntland and Somaliland, requiring frequent field trips.
- Act as a focal point for Cooperation-related issues in the field,
- Contribute to the relationship, trust and respect building between ICRC and Somalia Red Crescent Society(SRCS) in the field by facilitating contacts and mutual understanding,
- Support other ICRC departments in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of their joint programs/activities with Somalia Red Crescent Society in the field,
- Support Somalia Red Crescent Society emergency preparation and response activities with ICRC concerned departments,
- Participate in joint assessments with Somalia Red Crescent Society and other ICRC departments when required,
- Attend meetings, briefings and other joint events between ICRC and Somalia Red Crescent Society,
- Contribute to the analysis of the context and humanitarian needs through regular contacts with the SRCS in Mogadishu and in the field,
- Contribute to the roll-out of the Somalia Red Crescent Society Safer Access plan of action at Coordination level and in the field,
- Under the guidance of the Cooperation coordinator, provide support to the Somalia Red Crescent Society Management in Mogadishu in the design and implementation of internal policies, systems, guidelines and SOPs ,
- Liaise with and support the ICRC accountant based in Mogadishu, providing guidance and facilitation in his/her work with Somalia Red Crescent Society Admin and Finance counterparts,
- Organize and facilitate training, workshops and seminars in the field,
- Provide regular reporting of activities (field trips, minutes of meetings, etc.) to the Cooperation coordinator orally and in writing,
- Join the Cooperation coordinator during field trip visits and assessments to provide support, advice and translation whenever required,
- Translate documents from English to Somali and vice versa as required,
- Liaise with Movement partners in the field, especially those based in Mogadishu, to know about their plans and activities as well as provide information on ICRC’s own plans and activities,
- University degree (communication, arts, journalism)
- 4 years’ work experience in a similar field of activity
- Very good knowledge of spoken and written English
- Very good computer literacy
- Good rigor, method and analytical skills
- Good knowledge of the political, social and cultural assigned environment
How to Apply
Interested and qualified persons with the required experience are invited to submit their application to the Head of Human Resource Department of Somalia Delegation on the above mentioned address/email address before 27th August 2015.
Please indicate the position title on the subject line of your application letter. International Committee of the Red Cross Somalia Delegation Denis Pritt Road P.O. Box 73226, Nairobi 00200 – Kenya
E-mail address: [email protected]
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.