The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance.
It also endeavors to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles.
The ICRC’s Somalia Delegation in Nairobi implements the institution’s humanitarian activities in Somalia.
Field Officer – Gedo
Based on an optimal knowledge and analysis of his/her area of responsibility(AoR), he/she represents the delegation; facilitates and contributes to the identification of humanitarian problems and to the smooth implementation of activities; manages the security situation; manages staff under his/her direct supervision; provides regular reporting and contributes to the elaboration of the main orientations of the delegation.
- Monitors the political, security, economic and social developments and their impact on the population.
- Shares oral and written analysis of the above with the field Coordinator on a timely and regular basis.
- Identifies humanitarian needs resulting from the conflict or natural factors, and proposes course of action (assistance projects, intervention to authorities) when relevant.
- Contribute to the analysis, definition of annual objectives and plans of action in consultation with specialists in his/her area of responsibility (AoR)
- Develops and maintains an extended network of contacts among local authorities, parties to the conflict, traditional leaders, humanitarian organizations and members of civil society.
- Represents the ICRC towards them, especially with a view to strengthen its acceptance, access and security, and the respect of its principles of neutrality, impartiality and independence, according to the guidelines given by the Delegation.
- Participates in joint assessments and follow up visits of the various Operational departments (Water and habitat, Economic security, Health, Protection etc.)
- Regularly reviews the security situation in his/her area of responsibility, based on his/her own analysis, input from team members, contacts with stakeholders such as authorities, elders and parties to the conflict.
- Provides regular reporting on the security situation and in case of security incident or event likely to affect staff security, shares an ad hoc and timely written report with his field coordinator.
- Ensures that security rules and procedures are followed by all staff under his/her supervision and those visiting/operating in his/her area of responsibility, and apply them in an examplary manner.
- Provides security guidance (briefing, instructions) and resources (cars, security guards) to staff operating in his/her area of responsibility, according to the delegation’s guidelines.
- The Field Officer is responsible for the effective running of the office and ensures that HR, material and finances resources used in his area of responsibility are managed according to the delegations’ regulations and procedures. He ensures that the procedures are in the frame and the procedures of the ICRC regulations, particulary the Rules on financial management.
- Is responsible for ensuring the accuracy and relevance of Working Advance (WAD) requested from technical or other field officers in his AoR.
- Maintains a regular (oral and written) communication flow with the field coordinator on all aspects relevant to his/her function (analysis, contacts, internal management, operations, etc).
- University degree or diploma
- 4 years work experience in a similar field
- Fluent in written and spoken Somali and English
- Team leadership and management skills
- Very good analytical skills
- Sense of organisation
- Confirmed capacity to work independently
- Confirmed knowledge of the area of responsibility
- Computer skills : MS Office etc.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified persons with the required experience are invited to submit their application to the Head of Human Resource Department of Somalia Delegation on the above mentioned address/email address before 1st October 2015.
International Committee of the Red Cross Somalia Delegation Denis Pritt Road P.O. Box 73226, Nairobi 00200 – Kenya
E-mail address: [email protected]
Please indicate the position title on the subject line of your application letter.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.