Background Information: The International Institute of Rural Reconstruction Kenya Country Office with financial support from UN Trust Fund – Ending Violence against Women and Girls (EVAW) has started to implement a 3 year project in January 2016 in the northern Kenya counties of Samburu, Marsabit and Isiolo.
It is for this reason that IIRR is seeking to engage interns for the “Stop Violence Against Women and Girls in Samburu, Marsabit and Isiolo counties of Northern Kenya” project.The overall goal of the project, is to ensure that women and girls in Samburu, Marsabit and Isiolo counties of northern Kenya are better protected from sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) and harmful cultural practices e.g. early forced marriages and female genital mutilation/cut (FGM/C) and survivors have access to support services (medical, psychosocial and legal) by December 2018.
IIRR’s mandate of reducing poverty through innovations and community empowerment is guided by the IIRR credo, which provides the principles and the philosophy.We are seeking to strengthen our Kenya program activities by recruiting Interns.
Gender Based Violence Project Interns
Gender Based Violence Project Interns
Internship Scope: To provide technical support to the project assistant and local partners and thus ensure project activities by IIRR and partners are implemented according to plans and approved budget and desired results achieved.
Main roles and responsibilities will include:
- Support supervision of implementation of interventions to address Gender Based Violence (GBV) with targeted population through a strong community-based approach at the county level.
- Support the Project Manager and project assistant in capacity-building of relevant protection actors (among them are health care providers (HCPs), ToTs, community conversation facilitators (CCFs), psychosocial counselors, law enforcement agencies, female activists, local government authorities and community leaders).
- Support in strengthening of GBV referral system or links and case management.
- To facilitate the identification of human rights violations and protection risks, including poor access by persons with specific needs related to GBV to basic services.
- Support the establishment and running of Community-based Protection Networks within the community.
- Support the establishment/strengthening and running of Women Friendly Spaces (Save havens or rescue centres).
- Ensure regular coordination with protection clusters in the counties and relevant government authorities.
- Supervise the activities of the CCFs and prepare routine reports; monthly updates, quarterly, biannual and annual reports.
- Assist in project monitoring and evaluation in coordination with the project assistant.
- Support in the development of culturally sensitive and appropriate behaviour change communication and Information, Education and Communication BCC/IEC material on SGBV and dissemination/distribution at strategic points
- Support in the preparation of appropriate content for dissemination through local FM radio on SGBV issues
- To contribute, within the strategic framework of the SGBV Working Groups activated in the respective counties, for implementation and strengthening of the SGBV response mechanisms in the three target counties.
Required profile / experience:
- First level degree (Nursing, Clinical Medicine or Public Health) or Diploma graduate from a recognized health training institution in Kenya.
- Good communication skills in English and the local language
- Computer skills
- Strong representation and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Good report writing skills
- Desire to build a career in humanitarian and development fields in hard-to-reach and marginalized areas.
Required Qualifications: Degree or diploma from a recognized university in the areas of public health, nursing and community development programming with exposure to capacity building at both clinical and community levels.Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are to apply to below email with a current CV and cover letter To:
Email: [email protected] Closing date for applications is 30th March, 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.