Background information: The International Institute for Rural Reconstruction is an international development, research and training organization with over 80 years of grassroots experience working in people-centered and sustainable development programs in Africa and Asia.
IIRR is well reputed for its knowledge management capacity through documentation of best development-oriented practices, and is seeking to strengthen Kenya programme activities across Africa by appointing a Pastoralist Education Project Field Coordinator.
Job Summary: Reports to The Pastoralist Education Manager and based in Marsabit County.
The job holder is expected to work lead the Marsabit education team by closely working and supporting the IIRR team members in Marsabit.
He/She will also be engaged in organizational and institutional capacity building of partner NGOs/CBOs as well as networking a documenting and reporting on progress in partner’s capacity.
He/She will also work closely with the county and National government on education and related issues. He/She will also be in-charge of all the reporting on education for the county.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
i) Program Planning:
- Supervised by the PEP Manager, prepare annual. Quarterly and Monthly education project work plans for Marsabit sub county in close collaboration of the Marsabit education team and based on it, develop and implement his/her work plan indicating monthly activities.
- Provide leadership and support to the Marsabit education team in preparing Workplan, budgets and other financial documentation
- Provide hands on support to partners in developing their respective annual plans and corresponding budget.
- Review, edit and compile partner’s annual activity plans and budget and submit timely.
- Organize and conduct teams and partner’s sub-annual and annual reflection and planning meetings and report on field feedbacks for program improvement.
- Support local partners (KNEF, Isogargaro and other) as per project targets.
ii) Program Implementation:
- Ensure timely implementation of SDF, Wellsprings and other project activities, meeting the strict timelines of each respective donor.
- Supervise Marsabit education team to ensure timely implementation of activities to surpuss provides target ensure the timely achievement of project targets as per the laid out time line for each project
- Provide technical support to staff and partners in mobilizing communities, actively engaging School Management Committees (SMC)/BoM’s in meeting the required project deliverables for each school.
- Mentoring and coaching staff and partners on a regular basis to ensure quality interventions
- Develop mechanism of tracking partners’ resource mobilization and effective and efficient use of sub grant to meet the set purpose.
- Establish and strengthen local network with International NGOs, UN agencies and link partners learning centers initiatives to other stakeholders’ education initiatives.
- Liaison with Government officials in particular Ministry of Education at provincial and district level to link PEP programs to the national education system.
- In coordination with communities, and partners and district education offices design a clear phase over strategy of IIRR and action steps to realize it and make sure it is happening.
- In partnership with others, implement interventions aimed at increasing quality of learning (Infrastructure improvement, WASH, Livelihoods, etc.)
- Undertake any other education activites as requested by supervisor
iii) Project Monitoring & Evaluation
- Ensure timely completion and submission of SDF M/E and other education tools monthly, Quarterly and /or as specified
- Ensure monthly monitoring and reporting of education projects
- Based on field experience provide feed back on the evolving education service delivery approaches and models on where and under what condition they work best.
- Mentor and coach partners in developing M&E framework, carry out baseline data and use for expansion of the existing learning centers and establishment of new ones to increase enrollment.
iv) Report writing
- Timely submission of monthly updates and quarterly reports with accompanying M/E tools.
- Provide change stories from the field complete with photos and related captioning.
- Timely submission of PEP monthly, sub-annual and annual field reports.
v) Fundraising, lobbying and advocacy
- Develop and implement local fund raising strategies with local communities, schools management committees, cluster education forums, government and other development partners
- Develop at least two (2) concept papers per year based on field experience and share with supervisor, Kenya Program team and regional director
- Conduct action research to document major achievements, lessons learned, challenges and shifts and policy impact of PEP on pastoralist education.
- Document field based challenges, learning’s and issues in pastoralist education for lobby and advocacy.
- Provide monthly updates and reports on activity progress
- Represent IIRR on meetings, conferences, and workshops as required within the county and nationally with approval of the Manager.
- Carry out any other duties that may be assigned by the supervisor/management
Minimum Education, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor of Education from a recognized institution.
- Experience in classroom teaching or teacher education/curriculum
- development for not less than 3 years
- Experience and evidence in successful fundraising, resource mobilization and management of teams
- Experience in working with the pastoralist communities and NGO’s for not less than 5 years
- Experience in working with donors, proposal and donor reporting.
- Experience as a TOT and community based initiatives
- Be computer literate
- Experience in working with NGOs
How to Apply
Interested candidates are to apply by email with an up to date CV and cover letter including contacts of 3 referees and current remuneration package (Mandatory)
Closing date for applications is 17th August 2015 before 5pm to:
Regional Human Resource and Administration Officer, International Institute for Rural Reconstruction, Africa Regional Center,
P. O. Box 66873-00800,
Email: [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.