The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock.
It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa.
ILRI hosts the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) in Nairobi. IITA (www.iita.org) with its headquarters in Ibadan, Nigeria, works with partners throughout Africa and beyond to reduce producer and consumer risks, enhance crop quality and productivity, and generate wealth from agriculture.
The Research Assistant will conduct the project activities efficiently and timely to generate transgenic plants, characterize them for transgene integration and expression and evaluate them for the disease resistant trait.
Research Assistant Job Responsibilities
- Maintenance and multiplication of tissue culture and transgenic banana plants
- Generation of transgenic banana plants
- Molecular characterization of transgenic plants
- Phenotyping of transgenic plants for disease resistance
- Maintenance of bacterial cultures
- Record keeping and data analysis
- Any other duties assigned
Requirements for the Research Assistant Job
- Degree in Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Plant Science or relevant field.
- Experience in plant tissue culture, genetic transformation and molecular characterization of transgenic plants
- Able to cope with heavy intermittent workloads extending beyond office hours and during weekends
- Computer literacy, data organization and statistical analysis skills
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus. It is open to Kenyan nationals only. The position is for a fixed term period up to 31 August, 2018
How to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by CLICKING HERE before 9 March 2017.
The position title and reference number RA/IITA /02/17 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.