Facilities Engineer Job at International Livestock Research Institute
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Facilities Engineer to participate in planning and design for new buildings and Improvements of structures within ILRI. S/he will ensure first class status of the Institute’s facilities by providing up-to-date advice and guidance in Engineering and building current trends.
The job holder will work within a team to provide strategies and methods of ensuring good working and sustainable environment through continuous improvement in provision of efficient and effective services.
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock.
It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world.
Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
Engineering Job Responsibilities
- Involvement in planning and designing of building and ILRI Facilities, including optimal utilization of space
- Assist in Project management, including scoping of customer requirements, translating them into a drawing, providing bill of quantities, participating in tender process, bid analysis and assist in preparation of contracts
- Advise on site acquisition, contractor briefing/induction, site conditions, and approvals, providing guidance and support to contractors and well as managing contract costs (measurements and variations/cost control)
- Maintain international engineering/building and works standards and ensuring that they are acceptable to the Institution
- Coordinate acquisition of permits, licenses and all necessary approvals
- Work in a team to ensure health and safety standards are maintained
- Advise, or approve where delegated, construction materials and methods so as to meet expected standards and quality
- Check and advice on contractors work plans and ensuring that they are within reasonable timelines
- Participate in ensuring cost-effective, quality and timely delivery of projects and refurbishment/upgrade activities
- Supervise delegated projects and support internal and external resources to ensure timely delivery of projects, expected quality and allotted budgets
- Collaborate and give input for implementation of three year multi annual maintenance plan for buildings and facilities for sustainability and proper planning
- Provide regular reports and progress reports by use of engineering project planning and monitoring tools
- Plan, prepare, attend and (where necessary) lead site meetings and inspections for ILRI projects
- Regularly monitor buildings and facilities and advise the Unit Manager on repair or maintenance requirements
- Assist the unit manager in providing technical support to external and internal customers.
- Share relevant experience to help the team members to reach their targets and potential for better output
- Replace the Facility supervisor during absences
Requirements for the Engineering Job
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering or equivalent from a recognized University
- 5 years’ experience in engineering related field
- Experience in working with /for International NGOs or similar Institutions
- Proven Experience in Engineering projects, contract management and contractor supervision.
- Experience in working with International quality standards
- Computer knowledge in Microsoft programs,including MS Project
- Knowledge and experience in AutoCAD and arch-cad as well as other engineering software.
- Experience with ERP application software
- Highly skilled person with an eye for details and quality
- Forward planning capability
How to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking here https://www.ilri.org/jobs?jid=23747-facilities-engineer before 17 April, 2017.
The position title and reference number REF: PC/03/17 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.