The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit an experienced, dynamic, innovative, self-motivated, and results-oriented Senior Administrative Assistant who will be responsible to provide quality and efficient administrative and logistical support in order to contribute to the achievement of an effective and responsive AVCD Program. The position will be accountable to the AVCD Program Manager. The program will be implemented by a consortium of three CGIAR centers working on four main value chains, namely: livestock (ILRI), dairy (ILRI), root crops (CIP) and drought tolerant crops (ICRISAT), with ILRI as the lead center. The Accelerated Value Chains Development program for Kenya will work with small scale farmers, processors and traders in selected value chain to attain resilience, food and nutrition security, and economic development through rapid and wide adoption of improved technologies and innovations.
ILRI works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation, principally in Africa and Asia. The outcomes of these research partnerships help people in developing countries keep their farm animals’ alive and productive, increase and sustain their livestock and farm productivity, find profitable markets for their animal products, and reduce the risk of livestock-related diseases. www.ilri.org.
ILRI is a not-for-profit institution with a staff of about 700 and in 2015, an operating budget of about USD 83 million. A member of the CGIAR Consortium working for a food-secure future, ILRI has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, a principal campus in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and offices in other countries in East, West and Southern Africa and in South, Southeast and East. www.cgiar.org.
1. Provide general administrative support to the Program Management Office and visitors
- Preparing payments for invoices/requisitions in liaison with budget holders, ensuring they are received in Finance Department for payment processing.
- Raising consultancy requests for consultancy contracts, getting approvals for the same, getting contracts from HR and sending the same to the consultants.
- Managing stationery stock levels, raising purchase requisition for office supplies.
- Reporting and following up on office/furniture repairs.
- Prepares offices for new staff, consultants, and visitors which includes acquisition of all necessary furniture and stationery.
- Creating and managing filing systems – maintaining and updating files & records.
- Coordinates preparation, printing and distribution of Unit documents and publications with support of the Office Assistant.
- Responding to routine correspondence, handling e-mail and telephone communication, requests & enquiries and other communications systems and processes to appropriate parties.
- Supports the program management team in follow-up of action points.
- Supports collection of information requests from various departments.
- Filing, travel expense reports, business cards etc.
2. Organize all travel arrangements
- Making pre-travel arrangements, request for flight bookings, preparing and getting approval of TAs.
- In the case of field work liaising with Transport to obtain vehicle and driver.
- Coordinates local transport needs which includes liaising with transport department for transport.
- Post travel – preparation of TERs for team and getting approval from budget holders and they are received in Finance Department for Processing.
- Maintains the Program’s travel authorization log for the team’s travel.
- Coordinate airport transfers and accommodation arrangements (at recommended hotels and guesthouse) for ILRI staff and visitors.
- Ensure appropriate travel reports are submitted and keep a database of program team travel schedules.
- Organize itineraries for donor visitors and VIPs to the Institute including scheduling meetings with members of the institute and liaising with public awareness and other units to make sure all logistics are in place.
3. Organising internal and external meetings; conferences, workshops, office events
- Assist in liaising with value chain leaders and teams, researchers, programme management officers to ensure the logistics are in place.
- Maintain an up to date database on details of all the donor visitors and VIPs to the Institute as well as those provided by the program team.
- Work with relevant officers to execute all logistics of meetings and functions; booking of venue, arranging accommodation, processing travel & visa,arranging for transfers and local transport.
- Preparing and sending out of invitation letters and follow up on confirmations.
- Preparing workshop folders and materials – registration forms, workshop program & name tags.
- Preparing small budget for per diem and incidental payment to workshop participants and executing payment during the workshop.
- Advising security to issue gate pass for assets/materials going out of ILRI as well as updating them about incoming workshop visitors/participants.
- Bachelors of Business Administration, Secretarial Studies, Office Management or related field.
- At least three years administrative support and office management experience in a busy organization.
- Front office experience and public relations skills would be an added advantage.
Post location: The position is based in ILRI Nairobi, Kenya.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here